I can't decide what to get as my next backpack...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
So, I'm moving away from DPM and the other assorted camo prints after years of near exclusive use. I do however, like the ruggedness of Cordura but have seen Clouston98's simply beautiful vintage setup...

Ideally like to keep to subdued earthen colours, browns, greens, etc...
No Molle.
Looking for around 60L capacity, +/- 10L or so depending on external straps, possibility of add on pouches etc...
No budget in mind, I'm not rich but I'm quite happy to squirrel away the pennys over a long period of time for the right bag.
Ideally a hip belt.

So far I've seen:
http://www.military1st.co.uk/reindeerhunt55brown-wisport-reindeer-hunt-55l-rucksack-brown.html
http://www.woodland-ways.co.uk/buy-online-frost-river-isle-royale-bushcraft-pack-696.html
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co...s-c19/all-rucksacks-c134/nimbus-trace-62-p772

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
All three packs you have there are good for different tasks. They are all good packs but are they right for the task they'll need to fulfil. This subject is a minefield. My recommendation would be to sit down and really think about how you will use it, trekking, bushcraft, occasional overnighters etc. This will really narrow the field down and make your choice easier. There will be loads of good advice coming your way but I have learnt you need to establish what it is you want the pack for exactly. I settled on one of the Swedish vintage packs in the end. Hope this helps in some way.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate my original three choices are quite varied...
I'm doing winter camping for 3-4 nights, lugging groceries home and a general tough camping bag with some comfort.

I've also been suggested the Berghaus Vulcan and had a look at the Ray Mears Leaf Cutter, altho the latter seems a touch large for my needs and unsuitable for a long back...

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Those are three very different packs.

Is the Exped Lightning 60 worth looking at? It's colour choices aren't ideal. I've given up on finding a backpack in the right colour and just put a black or OG rain cover over the top...

The Osprey Exos 58 appears to come highly recommended. Again, colour, tho nothing a rain cover wouldn't solve.

For a while I had the older version of the Vaude Aysmmetric 50 as top of my pack shopping list, before the exped lightning caught my eye.

Dunno if any of these suggestions are useful, but maybe food for thought.

Julia

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I'd personally go frost river again- it really does it for me, glad you like the set up :D. Of I had to to chose between the other two I'd go granite gear- looks to be the best out of the two in my opinion. I've done 8+ mile days with full overnight loads in the frost river and had nothing but plain sailing so unless your doing huge mileage you'll be fine. I do a lot in the canoe where weigh is no issue but the frost river is the best all round pack I've used for sure, and very comfortable too. Good luck in your search :).

Jul 5, 2014
Derbyshire :-D
I'd suggest one of the karrimor sabre range, from what I hear they are very good though I haven't used one myself. They can be a little pricey but a tough and favourably endorsed by mr mears himself

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Have a look at the karrimor predator 45, it is plce compatible so the rocket pockets will increase capacity by 20l and it has mollee webbing to attach any number of pouches .

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have recently converted to a Sabre SF45 and I am more than happy with it. Both sides attached adds about another 30Lts which is ample for most trips.
Build quality is stunning and its tough as old boots. Very comfy back carry and does not sit too high for clambering through scrub and woodland.

Yes expensive but well worth the money, especially if you can get one near new or second hand.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I was looking for something of similar size but then found on evilbay an ex issue Berghaus Crusader 90+20 for £60 and couldn't resist, when i don't need the full thing i'll either use just the main bag or the side pockets zipped together as a 20ltr pack

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Good looking packs especially the slightly older models as according the military personal reviews the newest version is a bit iffy on strap quality, i've drooled on them for a while but refused the £169 brand new cost as excessive.

Read loads of good stuff on the Vulcan but the Atlas is shredded and slated in user reviews with many saying literally it's not fit for purpose

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE