I bet he got in trouble with the missus!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not remotely bushcraft but still kind of relevant.

When I was little I used to "experiment" at setting light to stuff on my bedroom window sill whilst my mum and dad were downstairs watching telly. This would range from chemicals I could find mainly in the garage cupboard and shed, but also my dads aftershave and various ointments and aerosols etc from the bathroom.

One night I managed to knock over the blazing 35mm film cannister I was using for my cocktail, which then rolled down the garage roof under my window and into the gutter. Still a blaze this then set fire to about a six foot section of dried leaves and moss and then the edge of the tarpaulin roof over the utility room.

At this point I could feel my heart beating in my mouth, to young to swear I ran down stairs and shouted at my mum that the roof was on fire. My dad managed to put it out with the hose pipe so no major damage was done.

Still makes me laugh now and of course it`s still gets mentioned every Christmas at my mums house.

Rich

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
When I was around 12/13 I became interested in Geology; we had a family holiday in Wales and whilst scrambling about on a mountainside I came across an old lead mine. I filled my rucsack with samples of galena and took them home.
One day when my parents were out I decided to try smelting lead in the kitchen :eek:
I managed to wreck several saucepans and fill the house with sulphurous fumes :eek:
Somehow, after that episode, my mum didn't think that my interest in dissecting roadkill was so bad afterall !

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Well of course I whittle away indoors, as long as the tarp is down, and I've already managed to put axe marks in the decking outside. I did all my initial bowdrill practice inside as well, although I migrated outdoors as soon as I got anywhere near making an ember (about 2 weeks). My wife must have the patience of mother Theresa.

As a child I had a tendency toward the pyro, no windowsill experiments for me, I simply peeled the wallpaper up and set it alight. Thankfully it didn't burn more than I'd peeled up, much.

By the way, how come nobody has mentioned the fire starting potential of late 70's vinyl coated wallpaper? I found it goes up a treat!

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Anyway, before this thread gets its very own padlock, I'll try and turn the discussion a bit!

i actually did do some bow drill work on a balcony in an old flat, and the smoke drifted into the house and i got severe grief from the missus! Who else has done some sort of bushcraft thing in the house which has incurred the wrath of one incredibly annoyed woman?

I'm actually surprised that your missus hasn't gotten used to the smell of smoke having a Spamel about the house :lmao:

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hey, I have a small workbench right in the living room - small vice, anvil, pile of hammers, tongs, pliers, nippers, and files. So I do a lot of "cold" metal work right next to the desk and couch. I do try not to do much wood work - because of the sawdust. And the vacumn does occasionally pick up a straw bit of iron that got away. Sure does rattle!

And I even taught a friends 10 year old daughter how to start a fire with flint and steel right in the living room. He still thinks the carpet was burning when he woke up from his nap, but it was never in jeopardy. But after he woke up in a panic over all that smoke, we moved outside. But this also allowed here to start a complete fire from catching that spark, getting her tinder bundle burning, and then feeding small sticks to it to build a complete campfire (in the middle of the driveway).

But I don't live in a "woman's" house! It's been years since a female ruled the roost here - well, except for the cat and her kits. And the fact that my place is not a "woman's" house is why so many of my friends really like to stop by. They usually can't explain why they like my place, but it's become obvious to me. All of MY stuff/toys are spread out all over the place instead of being relegated to a backroom, a hidden corner down in the basement, a shelf/wall in the garage, or a tiny shed in the back yard. It's not a "Martha Stewart" fantasy world to impress other women. It's a place for me to live and work. There ain't no doilies, tea coasies, nicknacks, nor potpouri in the whole house!

So, fire starting is only one of the minor things I have done in the living room. Also, tore apart and rebuilt a chainsaw, cut and sewed up a canvas tent, worked leather, carved horn, misc. woodwork (but not much because of cleaning up all the sawdust), lots of small iron work, did minor surgery, and even the occasional nap. I haven't skinned/butchered any animals in the living room - yet. I just do that in the kitchen in cold weather, or out back when it's warmer.

So goes life out here in the hills.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

LOL Mike, My mussus bought me a shed for my gear but a fair bit of it still decorates the place :). I'd love to see you're place mate :D

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I've dones some whittling in the lounge before, didn't make me the most popular.

I spose the guy selling could have done worse... he could have been using the wooden floor as a hearth board....

Okay, I'll admit too (easy I am a bachelor as far as I know anyway...)

Whitlling & Carving, (just finished a rough axe handle)
Making burners (wood, canstoves, esbit) & billy cans
Fire bow
Fixing dive gear

But it looks like Mike:You_Rock_ will get a lot over visitors from this side of the pond :)

Grtz Johan

ganstey

Settler
I've not really done much messy bushcraft in the house. However, when I lived at home I once had a bead tantalum capacitor explode on me - boy did that pong :yuck:

My older brother once replaced the piston rings of his motorbike in the dining room whilst our parents were away for the weekend ;)

Most of my house is buried under 'projects' from my various hobbies, and yes, I live on my own.

G

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've not really done much messy bushcraft in the house. However, when I lived at home I once had a bead tantalum capacitor explode on me - boy did that pong :yuck:

My older brother once replaced the piston rings of his motorbike in the dining room whilst our parents were away for the weekend ;)

Most of my house is buried under 'projects' from my various hobbies, and yes, I live on my own.

G

Ah, exploding capacitors. That brings back memories. The old paper capacitors used to go off with a pop and cover the room with a coating of fine white powder.

I remember using one of these old crank thingies to charge up a huge capacitor. Used to leave them on the desk for the lab tech to put away. If he happened to touch both terminals he used to fly across the room and land on the floor with a thump. I laid a spanner across the terminals once and it blew a half inch hole in the side of it.

Eric

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Ah happy days... my friend Charles and I set up an R-C circuit with the schools brand new oscilliscope (not turned on). OK turn it on...BANG!! It was just at that point the large, polarised, reversed electrolytic let go. New trousers all round. Actual damage 30p!

I did fire upa powerplane in the house without it's filter bag. Not only does it make chippings but it sends them out at supersonic speed everywhere. Mr Popular!

Cheers,
Steve

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmmm probably the most destructive was the incident with caustic soda and the goats milk :eek:

Man that was hot - the deep frying thermometer shattered.....then the glass beaker shatered......then caustic soda ran down the kitchen worktop....over the unit fronts...onto the floor...........

Guess why they call it "caustic". Nasty stuff - especially when its at a couple of hundred centigrade....and mixed with boiling fat and now rancid milk solids..........

Oops

Red

R

rednek

made a long bow in the front room. OOOOO MY GOD and i didn't think it was that messy

me and the drawer knife live out side now!!!!

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Hmmmm probably the most destructive was the incident with caustic soda and the goats milk :eek:

Man that was hot - the deep frying thermometer shattered.....then the glass beaker shatered......then caustic soda ran down the kitchen worktop....over the unit fronts...onto the floor...........

Guess why they call it "caustic". Nasty stuff - especially when its at a couple of hundred centigrade....and mixed with boiling fat and now rancid milk solids..........

Oops

Red

Did you rebatch it?

Eric

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Well, I should probably also mention some of the ... other messes ... I was only partially responsible for - here on the farm and growing up on the folk's farm.

I/we have nursed many a calf, piglet, lamb back from the grave in the kitchen next to the stove - especially during winter. They would be born, but sometimes not get cleaned up and bonded with their mothers before the cold/wet caught up with them. So we would pick them up, and bring them inside to "thaw out" in the heat next to the stove. Once warmed back up, a little hand-feeding would usually perk them back up quickly. We could usually tell when they were well enough to be moved back out to the barn for a reunion with mama when they started bouncing and scampering about the kitchen and livingroom.

And then there were the cat having her kits on the sofa in the middle of the night. Quite a surprise in the morning. And a tough ... cleaning ... job afterwards. I guess she felt more comfortable up there instead of in her usual secluded private box with wool blankie.

You do what you have to do at the time.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I once collected quite a lot of cattail heads (to use for tinder) I didn't really examine it particularly closely, and as it was wet I placed it all in a basket in the airing cupboard to dry. What I didn't realise was that the cattail down was full of very small maggots and when I opened the airing cupboard to have a look if it was dry the little buggers had come alive (due to the warmth I presume) and spilled out and crawled all over the laundry. There were hundreds of them. :confused: :eek: The strife was not at all happy. We're now separated.......................but i don't think it was because of that. Mind you it was around that time :eek:

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
*Girl moment* Eww maggots in the laundry?!

Anyway, my house is divided, half and half. On one site is a the photography junk I have to have to work and the other side (nearest the back door) is full of projects I start but rarely finish. I've hacked and chopped wood, started a fire in various ss containers to work out which is best (woolies one;))
I accidentally chopped the coffee table in too whenI was tying to make a small hearthboard with a very large axe... should have done it on the floor. A bit of wood, nails and roll of gaffer tape late rand I have my coffee table back!

I've yet to damage anything else apart from a crack in the floor from being over enthusiastic (again) with the axe. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE