I am new to Bushcraft and looking for meaningful guidance

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 5, 2021
kent
Whereabouts in Kent are you, Laberdick?
I'm also in God's Own Country, and whilst I can't offer to take you camping (I rarely camp out now, to be honest), you would be more than welcome to join me on the odd bimble and we can do some wildlife spotting, plant/tree/fungi ID, firelighting, carving etc, if that would be of use to you. Bushcraft is a broad church and covers a whole host of skills and experiences.
Of course, that will have to wait until lockdown has eased, but the offer is there.
You can have a look in the 'Out & About' section to get an idea of the kinds of things I like to do and if that suits you then let me know and I'd be happy to help you on the right path.
Yes, that sounds amazing. I live in the Weald in Larkfield. I don't know whether you know it. It's really pictureque, surrounded by the North Downs. I think Kent is God's Own Country also, I just don't say it to loudly infront of Yorkshire folk. They tend to get a bit offended for some reason. Where in Kent do you live?

Reactions: Minotaur

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Although the Black Forest looks very nice out of the car, I don't recommend it for trekking tours and wild camping. It is too steep in most areas, rangers observe that you don't wild camp there and even if you don't care like me, because able and equipped to hide yourself perfectly, the branches on the ground left over by the wood industry aren't a pleasure if you look for a place for the night.

My preferred hiking areas in Germany are Hessen and Franken, although most other parts of the country are very nice for hiking too. Only NRW is really too crowded for trekking and wild camping.

The east has a forest fire problem during the summer month, which didn't end in the last years, because it didn't rain enough. That means the whole former GDR, but especially Brandenburg and Mecklenburg.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021
kent
Although the Black Forest looks very nice out of the car, I don't recommend it for trekking tours and wild camping. It is too steep in most areas, rangers observe that you don't wild camp there and even if you don't care like me, because able and equipped to hide yourself perfectly, the branches on the ground left over by the wood industry aren't a pleasure if you look for a place for the night.

My preferred hiking areas in Germany are Hessen and Franken, although most other parts of the country are very nice for hiking too. Only NRW is really too crowded for trekking and wild camping.

The east has a forest fire problem during the summer month, which didn't end in the last years, because it didn't rain enough. That means the whole former GDR, but especially Brandenburg and Mecklenburg.
Thanks for the advice.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Bear in mind the OP has Aspergers and if they are like me, may not like to see things on screens.

Recommend a few books perhaps?
I too have high functioning autism and the majority of my learning comes from not books but observing others, to be another that gets a great deal out of videos on youtube.

See the problem with books that describe how do things, is not everybody can write instructions that will work for all kinds of minds.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Most of what I learned I learned in scouting, where this thing that nowadays we call Bushcraft , back when I was learning it in scouting it was called Backwoodsmanship and Pioneering, even Backwoods cooking. Early Boy Scout books are full of what we now call Bushcraft.

Early non scouting books I had that did write for all kinds of minds were ' Stay Alive ' with Eddie McGee and of course Mr Wiseman's; SAS Survival Handbook, the first edition I guess as I remember it well and how it didn't work well in a book case due to it's irritating format. As the thing is there lots of pictures in those books, pictures being a close second to watching folk do stuff that is best for my learning style.

And most of my ASD is the interpersonal aspect to know exactly where you're coming from.

Reactions: Minotaur

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Bushcraft to me is like shaking hands with an octopus = one thing at a time.

Learn to make and use fire. Even if this is in your own garden.
Cook over that fire and feed yourself, even if just a sausage on a stick
or scrambled eggs. That never gets old.

The "shelter" part and where to camp to exercise that is the next thing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE