Hydration bladders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
Hi all, missus and I both need a bladder each, she has a fancy ladies osprey pack and I have an issued...beat up Dutch army pack, my questions are; are all bladders a general standard shape/size?
Also is there any huge quality difference on the pricey ones compared to the £5 jobbies? Is there a need to spend a fortune?!
Sorry for daft questions.
And thanks for any replies....

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have always relied upon Camelbak, great kit and great support. Osprey get good reviews too as do source. You don’t want one failing if it holds all your water.

Reactions: ScottE

bearbait

I know I'm not really answering your question here but I much prefer to use (Nalgene) water bottles, rather than a hydration bladder, when hiking as I know exactly how much I'm drinking and how much I've got left.

I do use Ortlieb water bags for camping though. They have been pretty bombproof in my experience.

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
I know I'm not really answering your question here but I much prefer to use (Nalgene) water bottles, rather than a hydration bladder, when hiking as I know exactly how much I'm drinking and how much I've got left.

I do use Ortlieb water bags for camping though. They have been pretty bombproof in my experience.

100% agree.
You know how much you have drunk
You know how much you have left
You don't get all sorts of nasties growing in the pipe (in warm weather) if you don't clean and sterilise it regularly.

Cheap water bottles from the supermarket and then re-fill a few times. Throw away after (say) 10 refills.
(Sorry - but I'd rather be a 'disposer' than 'ill')

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Have to agree with both of you tried one years ago when they first became popular and didn’t like having to look after it so much.

Use re usable bottles but they are less fiddly to clean and I can gauge my water use better.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I have a Source 3l but have no idea if there are some general size standard. I bought the expensive bladder instead of a cheap one just to be on the safe side. I like to believe what they say about Source -bladder quality.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I find i sip smaller amounts from my camel bak, whereas i tend to take half a bottle when its my sig or nalgene. The space three sig bottles take up is the same as a camel bak 3l just shaped out better, with nalgene taking up roughly the same sized space. Camelbak work well, everything comes down to comfortability.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've used cheap water bladders. The connections can be a little leaky, but easily sorted. 1st one with a couple of cable ties to cinch the tube round the opening, 2nd one a bit of ptfe tape round the thread where the tube screwed into the bladder at the base. Sizes have been different, both 3L, but one thinner and taller. Not sure if there is a 'standard' size beyond litreage. But if your only spending 5 quid then I'm happy to mod a little [with stuff I already have] to make it more watertight. The bag themselves appear fairly hardy, just don't throw them around or drag them over gravel...

The camel back has a superior nozzle for drinking from, but cheap ones are serviceable.

I've not used one while trekking [I haven't done that for awhile] but for days out has been good, I can gauge how much is used / left by the volume and weight, it's just something you'll get used to if you pay attention.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Camelbak or source Are the best for my money.
It's a weak thing by design so I'd prefer to spend a few quid more on a decent one
They are generally a similar shape but some do buck the trend

As for cleaning and being fiddly. Strap yourselves in folks I'm about to lay down some real talk!

After use.......put em in the freezer!!!
Haven't cleaned one or had one go bad for years
Life hacks yo

Reactions: Ooops and ScottE

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE