Hw 97 Theoben

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
I have the chance of buying a mint one of these but have no idea how a gas spring performers, I own a a hw77 and have been told the 97 is the modern equivalent, any views, advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Russ

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Dont think so, It means carbine (short barrel) The gas ram is a bit smoother (allegedly) but I cant tell much difference. 12 ft lbs either way.

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
Thanks, I can get it for £ 250 with bag and sights, it's being sold due to health problems, he bought it from new and has only shot it at a club, just not sure about a gas ram.

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
I may treat myself then as its my 40th tomorrow, but I have a logun Gemini as well I don't use as I haven't a bottle or pump so three rifles seem very greedy, will have to sell the other two if I get it as only ever used for pigeons.

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
Cheers mate, still feel like I have the mental age of a teenager though, well SWMBO says that anyway, I'm sure I'm round the early twenties mark.......well almost

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Are you sure it's a gas ram? The HW 97 family are spring powered when they leave the factory. The HW 90 uses a version of the Theoben gas ram.

Apart from that, the HW97 is a pretty good bit of kit. They've been around for about 15 years I think. They went through a re-vamp a few years ago, the newer version is in my opinion far better than the older one. The 'K' means "Carbine" - a bit shorter than standard.

Have a look over on airgunbbs, there' be plenty, maybe even too much, of information over there.

Cheers,

Dave

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I was reading the thread waiting for someone to point out the obvious. :)

Yeah a HW97k is springer as standard, made by Weirauch not theoben. I'm not even sure the HW97k will take a gas ram, i may be wrong, but i can never remember seeing or hearing of a rammed 97k

You wont be dissapointed though, the are good reliable accurate rifles, heavy but all the better for it.

Are you sure it's a gas ram? The HW 97 family are spring powered when they leave the factory. The HW 90 uses a version of the Theoben gas ram.

Apart from that, the HW97 is a pretty good bit of kit. They've been around for about 15 years I think. They went through a re-vamp a few years ago, the newer version is in my opinion far better than the older one. The 'K' means "Carbine" - a bit shorter than standard.

Have a look over on airgunbbs, there' be plenty, maybe even too much, of information over there.

Cheers,

Dave

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
Ok, justspoken to him. It is a theoban ram, I asked him if it could be the 90 as the 97 dosent have the ram and he said it must be then (he really is not himself), its at the gun club and it has had less then half a tin of pellets through it from new. He said it has a silencer which would also be in keeping with the 90 so im pretty sure it will be.
So my new question is what do you think of the 90?

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
The 90 is solid, reliable and usually accurate, but quite heavy. Apart from the gas-ram the main difference between it and the 97 is that it is a break barrel and does not have the renowned "Rekord" trigger unit that Weirauch are so well known for. The 90 is available as full length or K version. It should last 3 lifetimes easily.

Dave

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Doesn't the 90 have the Rekord unit? Never knew that. :)

The 90 is solid, reliable and usually accurate, but quite heavy. Apart from the gas-ram the main difference between it and the 97 is that it is a break barrel and does not have the renowned "Rekord" trigger unit that Weirauch are so well known for. The 90 is available as full length or K version. It should last 3 lifetimes easily.

Dave

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Doesn't the 90 have the Rekord unit? Never knew that. :)

me neither. from what i remember it certainly feels the same as the triggers on other wierauchs. very good gun the 90k, i nearly got one years ago but ended up seeing a theoben scirocco for the right price. gas rams have a few advantages over springs, i've always got on well with them

cheers

stuart

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Perhaps the ram has a different release mech, And the rekord isn't compatable?

Saying that, doesn't the hw100 use the rekord unit?

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I'm 99.99% certain it's not the Rekord trigger unit on the 90, for one thing the safety is in a totally different place.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE