Husqvarna hatchet mini review pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
After seeing Fast but dims heads up on the deal that Ramages are doing on the Husqvarna hatchet, I thought for £20 its got to be worth a punt.
I dont normally write reviews so this may not be that good (sorry)

http://www.ramages.co.uk/acatalog/Special_offers.html

The 35cm hatchet comes with a leather sheath which is more than likely made for a larger axe, kind of one size fits all, I cut mine down and put in a new welt piece to stop the axe cutting the sheath. The leather is nice and thick and is a waxy type feel with a simple pull closure, which is effective but might wear with use.

DSC_0932.jpg

Husqvarna sheath
DSC_0941.jpg

Small forest sheath
DSC_0940.jpg

The shape is similar to the Gransfors Bruks axes, the finish isn't as good but for the money, and compared to the GB equivalent which would be the wildlife hatchet its not too bad at all. It came razor sharp and the grind is nice and even, its been hand forged using Swedish steel, I stropped it on some leather before I used it and its held up ok since.

DSC_0933.jpg

DSC_0934.jpg

Husqvarna
DSC_0935.jpg

Small forest axe
DSC_0936.jpg

The weight is about 1/12 lb, which the same weight as my small forest axe, so it has a nice weight for splitting and with the shorter handle it seems to be okay for carving, the haft is made from Hickory and is nicely finished.

DSC_0939.jpg

DSC_0937.jpg

I got mine for work to be used to knock in plastic wedges for felling large pieces when doing takedowns, and with its handy size I'm sure it will find its way in my pack, and might even replace my small forest axe when going on over nighters.

DSC_0938.jpg

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
looks excellent for 20 bucks..great pics thanx for sharing...atb shogun

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
That's a useful review, thanks Simon.
I was spitting feathers when I saw these at this price as I'd just bought a Wetterlings small hunter from Rutlands in their sale. Oh well.

The profile compariaon with the SFA was particularly nice to see.

Cheers, Alan.

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Had one for about 6 months now, and the larger with the splitting cheeks, they get my vote anytime of the day. Cheap, effective and extremely usable, i dont own a gransfors, and to be honest with these two, i dont need too.

Mark

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
I got one. Sheath is, as written, over large, but fixable.

The grind was slightly off centre at the upper end and it was sharp rather than razor sharp but for £20 very good and of a handy size.

I will be spending more money on a Cegga or GB for the larger axe for car camping.

Richard

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Cheers guys,

Redneck, is the grind off centre or is it the eye thats off centre? have you contacted Ramages?

Salix, I have been looking at the splitting axe, I might invest now, cheers.

I wanted to keep adding to this review so heres a few more thoughts.

I feel they have not had the time spent on them like GB axes, after all GB makers stamp their initials into the axe, but like I said for the money they seem like a good buy.

Mine was just as sharp as my GB when it arrived
and the grind and eye were spot on. I was not expecting much to be honest, I thought I might have to reprofile or at least give it a sharpen.

DSC_0956.jpg

I have not handled or used a Cegga so I cant compare the two, really this is a working axe, a handy little hatchet to knock about at work which is fine for me, and what I have used it for this week it has stood up to the job.

The steel seems to be good and strong, It limbs pretty well on dry pine trees, and with its weight it splits dry Ash logs just fine with no nicks or chips, its size is good for splitting down to kindling and the edge still shaves paper after a week of use.

Only took two hits to split this Ash ring
DSC_0945.jpg

DSC_0946.jpg

DSC_0947.jpg

DSC_0948.jpg

DSC_0949.jpg

DSC_0955.jpg

DSC_0957.jpg

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
i got mine this morning and i have to say for £20 i don't think you'll get anything better. handle alignment and the grind are spot on on mine the sheath could do with being a bit smaller but thats not a massive problem

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I got one today. I did not fancy paying £6.99 for postage - even with the excellent £20 price. I got mine in person from Radmore & Tucker in Exeter for £22 - so those who live local - this is where to get 'em. It just a coincidence that they are 75 yards away from Endicotts :) Also it gave me a chance to hand-pick from the stock on display. I found this crucial because - as previously mentioned - they have not had as much time spent on them by the makers as lets say a GB has - so there is a variance in fit and finish.

LBL

Last edited:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have one and although the handle isn't aligned perfectly if I sight down the edge its only about about an 1/8th of an inch out when viewed against centreline at the very end (furthest away from the head that is) of the shaft.

I can live with that and would be surprised if it caused anyone else any real (as opposed to imaginary) problem.

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
good review, seeing as i spotted these i'm glad (nearly) everyone's happy. if anyone wants one, phone the shop and tell them to pick you good 'un, tell them what to look for!

if you get a bad one, tell them and swap it , the people in the shop are good.

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
I received my hatchet today - overall pleased with it, but a bit disappointed with the quality of the handle.

I was really disappointed to find the postage paid was only £2.70 ... when I was charged £6.99 p&p. I would complain to Ramages except I am sure that they would claim it took £4 to pack and post it.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I received my hatchet today - overall pleased with it, but a bit disappointed with the quality of the handle.

I was really disappointed to find the postage paid was only £2.70 ... when I was charged £6.99 p&p. I would complain to Ramages except I am sure that they would claim it took £4 to pack and post it.

I bought mine on the local chainsaw shop when I was picking up some bar oil so postage wasn't an issue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE