Hurricane Sandy

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's now been absorbed into the colliding Nor'Easter and is no longer a hurricane. Damage so far:

-Flooding across New York and New England (general flooding and all of New York's underground system)
-Power out to 8,000,000 customers (the power company considers a "customer" to ba a transformer so the actual number of people without power would be that number multiplied by however many people are served by each transformer)
-16 dead over 7 states
-What's described as a "massive" fire butning out of control in New York with 50 homes already destroyed

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Epic storm that one. So sad that folk are losing their lives. Just goes to show even with all our Tech, Mother Nature can and will slap us about as she sees fit

v8mule

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2012
wigan
I wonder if it will take them as long to rebuild New York as its taken not to rebuild New Orleans this will show just how united the United States are

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Scary times, & it must be heart breaking to lose everything.

Rob

It's traumatic, especially for those in the Northern states who aren't used to hurricanes. But "things" can be replaced. Personal momentos are irreplacable but mostly if you come through something like this safe, then the rest is only minor details.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Hope you are all right in Florida. It went over the Bahamas so Miami and the coast must have been affected. I remember one tropical storm that eventually did not build into the hurricane that was expected when I lived in the Bahamas and that was frightening enough. Many Bahamians have little enough as it is and the poorer areas are the most vulnerable. Poor bloody Haitians.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We have some wind here in my part of Florida (the Panhandle) but nothing near storm force. A sudden cold snap as well. I don't think it had much effect on the florida Atlantic coast either. Just a bit of extra wind.

As to New Jersey, I'm glad to hear your friend is safe Rik. Apparently they got some pretty severe damage around Atlantic City and the coastal areas. The state has been declared a disaster area.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
But "things" can be replaced. Personal momentos are irreplacable but mostly if you come through something like this safe, then the rest is only minor details.

Only If you have good insurance.or money in the bank...............................some of the folk I've seen being interviewed on the news won't be able to replace their lost possessions in the near future.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
That link to the photos is excellent. Picture 46 is truly spectacular.

It is, however picture 47 makes me feel old, so many folks watching the world through the viewfinder of a smart phone. :dunno:

(I'd also probably not be standing where they are standing, but perhaps thats just me.)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Looks like the planning was worked a lot to help in this awful situation. I think some preppers feel let down that there is no mass rioting/looting and zombies on the rampage though.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Only If you have good insurance.or money in the bank...............................some of the folk I've seen being interviewed on the news won't be able to replace their lost possessions in the near future.

Everybody that owns a home over here has an insurance policy. Renters might very well be badly off though, although they likely had less to lose (just some furniture and personal items) No matter what their status, it'll take years for all the claims to be settled.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Looks like the planning was worked a lot to help in this awful situation. I think some preppers feel let down that there is no mass rioting/looting and zombies on the rampage though.

Give it time Rik. There's weeks to go before power and mass transit is restored. That said, it's not New Orleans.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There will be problems, friction as time goes by but I can't see it getting near as out of control as Katrini, too many lessons learnt (I hope).

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just lifted this off a Facebook post:

‎"1 HURRICANE, 5 WORKERS, 1000 PIZZAS!

Uncle Paul's Pizza in NYC managed to stay open throughout Hurricane Sandy. Basically, the owner and employees were stranded, due to the storm. So they decided to ride it out, stay open, and supply pizza to as many people and rescue workers as possible!
The pizza place, which had only been open 4 months, delivered hot, fresh food to people in Zone A - the hardest hit area. They stayed open for 30-hours straight and they're still going. Owner Dino Redzic said, "We made more than 1,000 pies. We delivered where it was a terrifying. It looked like a war zone, with cars collapsed in the streets. Places were under water.”
And Dino doesn't plan to stop. He says, "If I have the manpower, we can go like this for days. All we need are fresh tomatoes, flour, water and cheese."

If you're eating pizza tonight, raise a slice to Dino and his crew for feeding NYC! Halloween night is the 3rd most popular night to order a pizza - after Superbowl Sunday and New Year's Eve"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE