Hunt Light Headlamp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
This is a headlamp with three white leds and two red leds. It seems a nice fit, and is a very good price.

Just before I buy it, has anybody got/heard of anything about one? Are there any well-known issues with them?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Mate, you need to be a little more forthcoming with information :lmao:

Asking about some head light with 3 white and 2 red LEDs is about as helpful as saying you are looking at a whatchamacallit, to take for thingame :rolleyes:

Give a brand, a name, a web link or something. Also, your title says hunting. Is that you hunting for the right light, or you wanting a light for hunting? Is it a good price? Good price for me might be very different from a good price for you, and without even quoting what you think a good price is you can hardly expect anyone to give advice :)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
At the moment. Millets are doing a 'buy one get one free' campaign on some of their gifty stuff. In amongst the ususal rubbish are 4 LED headlamps at £9.99. I bought a pair for £9.99 (one free, you see) so I can give one to my dad (he was well impressed by my Tikka Plus last October when i visited) and use one for work where i need to see inside necks etc.

Ok. they don't have red light, but I'm sure you could use a red marker pen to cure thet if you just want a cheap LED headlamp. Or run to £30 odd for a Tikka Plus.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
One of my brothers has an LED headlamp that has both red and white LEDs, He useds it allongside his usual pushbike lights and says if either the back or front goes out he has a replacement because of it.

Dunno what make it is though :confused:

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Just got a petzl zoom from santa, dead chuffed and just what i hinted, oops wanted.It,s to be used for distance whilst walking.I have got three other led,s which are handy around camp. I would reccommend petzl duo or tika extreme if i had purchase a multi functional one. cheers fil

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Usefulness of a headlamp whilst hunting depends very much on what you want to use it for. If it's for general use, looking in your bag for bits and bobs, skinning or cleaning game at the end of the night and this sort of thing, fine. If you were thinking of using it as a hunting lamp, to actually locate and shoot prey with, I'd say forget it. A friend holding a decent lamp, or a rifle mounted light (Like the ones from Deben http://www.deben.com/lightsandlamping/tracergunlights.htm ) will be far far easier to use. Trying to align rifle sights AND a head torch is a nightmare. I tried it once, and that was enough to convince me to invest in a proper rifle mounted lamp.
Red filters are available to fit the rifle lamps and are made of proper filter material. I've tried all the dodges, red marker pen, red plastic from inside biscuit tins etc etc, and nothing gives the pure red light that a proper filter does. These days I use red "gel" (actually a thin plastic available in more colours than you can name) as used on theatre lights to convert any light source I want to a pure red light.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
filcon said:
Just got a petzl zoom from santa, dead chuffed and just what i hinted, oops wanted.It,s to be used for distance whilst walking.I have got three other led,s which are handy around camp. I would reccommend petzl duo or tika extreme if i had purchase a multi functional one. cheers fil

I have a Tikka plus and the only issue I have had with it is when its a little misty out and then the mist (and drizzle) seems to reflect light right back at me, then it seems that I am better off holding the headlamp in my hand as the effect is less noticable.

philm4

Oct 17, 2004
Midlands
I have a bit of a headtorch thing going on and have posted about the princeton tec apex elsewhere. It is by far the best light source I have ever had, I have tried petzl tikka XP, tikka + and petzl myo xp as well as having a petzl zoom. Its a bit pricey, £80 in the uk but I got mine from the states on ebay for £45 inc postage. It is very comfortable and does the low light petzl tikka + type light up to a 3 watt led actually using about 4 watts of power which is incredibly bright. Also it is regulated which means the light output is constant unlike petzl lights which diminish significantly over the first hour or so.

http://www.princetontec.com/products/index.php?id=2&type=1&use=0

Pricey but well worth it, one of the few products that meets expectations.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE