Hung an axe

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Well did up a custom handle for an axe head I had gotten from a buddy on another site few months back. the handle snapped on me one day yeah still was semi new to using as a carving axe LOL anyways yes I know the wood is not ideal for axe handles but took a chunk of beech and worked it down to a handle still got work to do on it some thin down but here she is so far. Not to shabby for my first hang, :D

Ray Mears inspired

100_3599.jpg

100_3598.jpg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks good for the practice ;)
As said above beech is very light and soft so it may twang a little. Ash is just as easy to find and does a grand job of handles.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have whittled beech in the past and found it no heavier than ash and it "felt" light and with a short grain. Looking about they have much the same sg. Either way it didnt feel like handle material :)
Ash is tough stuff agreed, made a few bows from it and have a few on the way.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Yes I know ash is preferred I used what I had besides this was more to see if I could do it. I do think the beech we have over here is a bit different than what y'all have over on the other side of the pond. It is beech and no it isn't all that heavy besides this is for light work I say axe more hatchet to be honest and not going to be a main user. This was done more for the fact to see if I could do it

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Usualy the stuff you call beech over there we call hornbeam which is incredibly dense hard stuff. Thats the fun with common names, :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE