Human Planet on BBC

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Hi there, while visiting UK on I found on Iplayer a great show called Human Planet. I was very impressed with the programe and all different cultures displayed. I especially liked the Massay that adopted birs that help find honney and those that worked with dolphins to catch fish. It's amazing how nature is willing to work with us! Any more fans of the show? :)

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Yes it is excellent. Been watching it. Also went to an RGS lecture by Dale Templar the Series Producer - I was amazed how ingenious they all had to be to get some of the shots. There is a load of stuff on the BBC site in this vein. BBC Natural History at its best. Definitely a fan.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Could be better...
I think in the BBC's efforts to be a global company and cater to the masses the Human Planet series has been very simple in it's approach and less detailed than some of the BBC's other nature programs (Blue Planet for example).

The photography is stunning and even better when watched in HD and has very interesting elements but on a whole I found it quite dull and wanted to know more than they were offering.

I also wasn't overly interested in the two spanish guys who risked their lives to collect limpets as even though it was interesting from a foraging point of view I thought they were massively playing up for the cameras!

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Mitcham, South London (Surrey)
Could be better...
I think in the BBC's efforts to be a global company and cater to the masses the Human Planet series has been very simple in it's approach and less detailed than some of the BBC's other nature programs (Blue Planet for example).

The photography is stunning and even better when watched in HD and has very interesting elements but on a whole I found it quite dull and wanted to know more than they were offering.

I also wasn't overly interested in the two spanish guys who risked their lives to collect limpets as even though it was interesting from a foraging point of view I thought they were massively playing up for the cameras!

Pretty much sums it up for me.
Beautiful photography and music as always with the BBC's nature work, but overall it seems they have tried to cram too much into each programme, with not enough detail on any of them. A longer series may have been better?

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
watched every episode so far especially like the first one and the rivers one oh and the junge one not a great fan of the desert

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Which episode were the limpet gatherers in Jay? I've only seen last nights offering so far and missed the first 15-20 mins or so!

R.B.

I think it was the second episode... I've lost touch with it now as I have given up watching it!
Each episode looks at mans relationship with a different environment and it was the episode where they look at mans relationship with the oceans!

It is also the episode where they look at island inhabitants who struggle to survive apart from when a whale comes when they all paddle oput and spear the animal to death! WHICH really annoyed me... they portrayed it as some type of religious ceramony as tribesmen flung themselves off the boats towards the whale with a spear as if they were heroic!

I'm all for hunting and living off the land but i believe there are some things in this world which are not for us to interfer with... Whales being one of them.

But as I said as per usual with the BBC it is shot fantastically.... I just think they wanted to be able to show it around the world and that maybe certain views from certain nations may not have that much of an attention span!

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I'm all for hunting and living off the land but i believe there are some things in this world which are not for us to interfer with... Whales being one of them.

Your fine with hunting but not whales ! may i ask why ?

rancid badger

Well I quite like the look of it, so I've ordered a copy from Amazon, which I can peruse at my leisure and then comment on it (or not) later on.

The section about the women who collected the turtle eggs, then put them in a nursery,for hatching and later release, was fascinating.

Mind you; the husband seemed to have a rather easy life!

cheers

R.B.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK

Your fine with hunting but not whales ! may i ask why ?

I think there are some species in this world that have been hunted by man too severely... for those species on land we now have game reserves and hunting seasons which allow for species to be managed and ensure levels do not fall below unsuafe numbers. Unfortunately we do not have such a thing for species in our oceans... there is no way of knowing the number of whales but it is widely known that they are very limited and so I believe they are on of the creatures we should leave alone. We as the most 'evolved' species on this planet have a duty to our future generations as well as to nature to manage and protect the planet while we are on it...
Not pillage and plunder it until there is nothing left!

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I think there are some species in this world that have been hunted by man too severely... for those species on land we now have game reserves and hunting seasons which allow for species to be managed and ensure levels do not fall below unsuafe numbers. Unfortunately we do not have such a thing for species in our oceans... there is no way of knowing the number of whales but it is widely known that they are very limited and so I believe they are on of the creatures we should leave alone. We as the most 'evolved' species on this planet have a duty to our future generations as well as to nature to manage and protect the planet while we are on it...
Not pillage and plunder it until there is nothing left!

I see your point but i dont see anything wrong with tribes that maybe take one or two a year thats not going to dent the population .
Its the commercial hunting that should be stopped!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
A whale is a gigantic barrel of biofuel, thats why they are so carefully protected.

`some` whale spiecies are rare, possibly in decline, but most of the big fat useful ones are quite common. (Sperm whales for instance)

Alas, our undetstanding of cetology is tempered by profitability, and so often the more interesting ones lose out.

What i dont like about these programmes is the way they portray people as `different` from us.

really they have modern technology, they shop in the same stores and most of them seem to speak good english!

My friend met a masai herder in kenya. he had been to Oxford.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Well despite all said, and BBC thinking that we're fools most of the time that knows shi**. I like it very much and cant wait to see epizode 7... Great stuff, well shot, maybe a bit poorly presented.

greensurfingbear

Could be better...

agree with that, not a lot of detail, also can't help but wonder if the people they filming are exploited in making the show.

but giving the lack of anything else better I watch it.

sure beats Mr Ghylls and Dual Survivors

Last edited:

rancid badger

Well, having just finished watching the whole lot, I have to say that I found it both entertaining and very educational too.

R.B.

PS: I also have misgivings on the integrity of the production teams. Watching the "how they did it" bits, on the end of each episode, is particularly telling in my opinion.
I didn't get much feeling of genuine care or interest, for the people they were filming, from the crews.
I did get a feeling of lack sincerity however!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE