Hultafors PK modification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I recently bought a Hultafors PK (precision knife) with a view to using the blade as a woodcarving knife.

Screenshot_20170726-124641 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

It's quite a useful knife as it is, but I chopped the plastic handle off anyway. An oscillating multitool made short work of this. It revealed a good sized tang.

IMG_20170715_124333 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

The spines of Hultafors blades are not finished very well (unless you bought an OK series), so I smoothed it off with a bench stone.
IMG_20170715_124645 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

The new handle is made from Holly, with an antler bolster, and cupronickel spacer (old coin.) Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the work in progress from here on, so here is the finished piece.
IMG_20170726_125349 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

IMG_20170726_125452 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Here it is with my existing home made carving knife, which is short and stubby like a Mora 120, whereas the new knife is longer and thinner, more like a Mora 106.

IMG_20170726_125848 by Alan Muddypaws, on Flickr

Hopefully my new knife will perform well, as Hultafors heat treatment is spot on, and better than I can manage.

This is a very multinational knife, as the blade is made by a Swedish company, from Japanese tool steel, in a Taiwanese factory, and handled with British materials (and a Danish coin - sorry Denmark!!) by British person.

Just a quick footnote - when I bought the knife, Heinnies were selling them for £6.95, but they have since doubled the price. At the new price I don't think it represents good value as a means to obtain a blade blank.

Thanks for looking.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Nice job. I like it.

Nice ...
Top job

Very nice work, I like it.

Thanks for the kind words!

All you need now is a leather sheath, real good work definitely doesn't look 6.95 anymore

A new sheath is top of the to-do list,.the plastic one is just an interim measure to protect the edge. I bought some veg tan leather off the bay some time ago, but haven't yet made a first tentative step into leatherwork. I'll keep you posted as to the results when I have something to show.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Proper job man!!!
That can't be your first time , is it???

I've stitched odd bits of leather before, when I made a rough sheath for a rough Scandinavian knife that I made, but that sheath was half wood, with just a leather tube at the top, and that was salvaged leather from some old boots (not veg tan).

This new sheath is my first go at a welted, wet moulded sheath using new materials.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE