Hultafors craftsman mods.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Just thought I'd share this quick modification I came up with for the hultafors craftsmen knife. Most of you know it's a cracking little tool, I use mine as a necker, but I have to carry a seperate fire steel. So I came up with this...

evebyzaq.jpg

An upturned biro top secured with bike inner tube. It's cut down just slightly to give a friction fit on a LMF scout fire steel.

supevu2e.jpg

It was more than secure enough just like that but I added more tube just to be extra secure, and to have spare fire lighting rubber to hand.

9uta8uga.jpg

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Apologies for the pic quality.

I further developed this by trimming the lanyard hole on the sheath and shimming out the pen top so it sits proud of the sheath allowing the top of the ferro rod to sit under what remains of the lanyard hole. This means it can't fall out.

7u2ehymu.jpg

Last edited:

leon-1

Yep love these things. The handle is very comfortable. Great blade for carving.

Nice and easy mods Mick.

Not as tiring as the polypropelene handled knives when you're carving for a long time. They actually appear to be a slightly thicker than the frosts knives as well even though the paperwork says they're the same. Almost identical to the stainless ones apart from the blue instead of orange bits.

You've had yours for a while, what did you think of the micro bevel on them? How long was it before you ended up with a zero grind?

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
You've had yours for a while, what did you think of the micro bevel on them? How long was it before you ended up with a zero grind?

I ended up with a zero grind pretty quickly. There's a slightly reduced edge retention without the micro bevel but I generally strop it after every use anyway so don't notice it that much. I tend to replace the micro bevel on mora's after sharpening for durability but don't feel the need on the hultafors.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE