How your (synthetic) clothes are poisoning our Oceans and Food Supply

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...oceans-patagonia-synthetic-clothes-microbeads

New studies indicate that the fibers in our clothes could be poisoning our waterways and food chain on a massive scale. Microfibers – tiny threads shed from fabric – have been found in abundance on shorelines where waste water is released.
Now researchers are trying to pinpoint where these plastic fibers are coming from.

In an alarming study released Monday, researchers at the University of California at Santa Barbara found that, on average, synthetic fleece jackets release 1.7 grams of microfibers each wash. It also found that older jackets shed almost twice as many fibers as new jackets. The study was funded by outdoor clothing manufacturer Patagonia, a certified B Corp that also offers grants for environmental work. “These microfibers then travel to your local wastewater treatment plant, where up to 40% of them enter rivers, lakes and oceans,” according to findings published on the researchers’ website.

Synthetic microfibers are particularly dangerous because they have the potential to poison the food chain. The fibers’ size also allows them to be readily consumed by fish and other wildlife. These plastic fibers have the potential to bioaccumulate, concentrating toxins in the bodies of larger animals, higher up the food chain.
Microbeads, recently banned in the US, are a better-known variety of microplastic, but recent studies have found microfibers to be even more pervasive.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Cotton production has been responsible for the destruction of the Aral sea and soil and water degradation in many other places. But yes micro fibres re a problem so discharges into waterways and the se should not happen until filtering etc.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Grow hemp :)
Much kinder to the environment all round, and top quality hemp cloth is as good as fine cotton, and less hassle to prep than linen, with much more fibre available from the crop too.

M

..... use long-lasting items (as opposed to one-way products) and recycle materials wherever possible is my philosophy (+ my semi-nomadic lifestyle puts a limit on the amount of possessions i own)------>while some materials are admittedly better than others no material is problem free: the issues with cotton and lake Aral, dyes in fabrics, chemical tanning for leather etc......

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
On the bright side though, just before the micro beads kill us all, the planet will boil up due to global warming. Thankfully we won't be here to see that because just before that a huge asteroid will collide with the Earth. Ah says the reanimated corpse of Monbiot, the soil erosion has killed us all before the asteroid even enters the atmosphere. But then we won't be here to witness that as we'll have become over-populated and the world's food supply will diminish causing us all to starve to death... but this starvation will be a welcome relief from the torture of the Rolling Stones doing that one 'final' tour before they retire.

Modern life, or to put it more accurately, not living like the rest of the animal kingdom we come from means we pollute. 10,000 years ago, man polluted the river ways. 2,000 years ago man polluted the seas and 200 years ago we polluted the air. Our very existence, and ironically your method of communication to share this, is polluting this planet and eventually there will be an uninhabitable planet floating around the sun. It is inevitable.

In other news, the Pope is Catholic and bears definitely do the do do in the woods without submitting the relevant paperwork to the forestry commission.

In all seriousness though, I've decided just this once not to be sarcastic or pedantic... I will instead discard my synthetic clothing and from now on only wear the skins of baby seals as a substitute. Of course I will have to club these baby seals, but the byproduct of my new clothes will leave behind enough food to feed the remaining polar bear population for another few years so they have the privilege of witnessing the asteroid hitting the Earth long after the human race has become extinct because we refused to have grasshopper stew for our Sunday lunch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE