how to w/proof a berghaus centurion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I would go with a liner. An ortleib bag, or similar roll top design will keep everything bone dry. There are too many seams on a rucksack to make waterproofing the fabric work.

Bill

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
I agree about the dry bags too, just have more than one of them! I separate my bergen into 3, using ortlieb bags (2 large and 1 xxl), plus another around my sleeping bag in its own compartment at the base. The XXL size can double as an improvised emergency shelter / mini bivvy bag if needed too.

I waterproofed the whole sack using fabsil too and got pretty good results but I'd never rely on it on its own as I've fallen in too many streams and rivers in the past :)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
iv never seen the point in Rucksack covers me slef.. especily if you have a good dry bag system...

plus they are often a loominus yellow or orange which you dont really want enless you plan on getting lost and needing to be air lifted out!

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
I've got one that sits in the top pocket but it's not for waterproofing. Mine is day-glo orange and has adhesive scotchbrite reflective tape on it. It was originally just for use in an emergency if I needed to be found, but I've also used it when walking on unlit country roads at night for extra visibility.

I cant remember where the cover came from, but I think it was just a high street outdoors store. I'll have a think if you're interested...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE