How to use a Millbank Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheBrook

Sep 3, 2014
West Midlands
www.youtube.com
Hi Everyone at BUK :)

When I mention Millbank bags, people seem to glaze over and have no idea what I am talking about.

Have you ever wanted to know what exactly a Millbank Bag is and how exactly it can make wild water safer for you to drink?

This video will show you how to use a the Millbank Bag, talk you through making the water you collect safe to drink and also offer some great hints and tips:

[video=youtube;ECzUOzE9jv8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECzUOzE9jv8[/video]

Would love any feedback, or if you have any other tips for using a Millbank bag, do share them :)

Until the next video, take care everyone,

Brook

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There is no need to boil for four minutes, once above 70c the water is sterile. If your below 2000m to be on the safe side just bring it up to a rolling boil and thats it, job done. If your above around 2000m then rolling boil for about three minutes.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
I never heard of millbank bags before I had to use them on a Frontier Bushcraft-course. It was a great way to go and collect water in a nearby stream and purify it while doing other tasks. Great video.

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
My brown filer Milbank bag has the instructions on and its easy to google instructions too. However as with learning any skill the more times and ways you see it the more likely you are to learn. I tend to watch videos like this in the morning while having my coffee and porrage, so like the short formats. Good video.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
If the only water around is gunky, what do you use to soak the bag?

If the water is too badly sedimented dig a hole two to three feet away from the edge and let it fill with water, discard first filling use second. That would be my approach anyway.

Rob.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
There is no need to boil for four minutes, once above 70c the water is sterile. If your below 2000m to be on the safe side just bring it up to a rolling boil and thats it, job done. If your above around 2000m then rolling boil for about three minutes.

Good point. It's something i hear repeated often but just seems wasteful of time and water. Other than that, nice video.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Great video. I too got to use one on my Frontier Bushcraft course. Only thing I would add is: 1. dont leave the wet bag in a plastic ziplock bag - it will rot. Get it out as soon as you reasonably can and ensure it is well cleaned out and dried; 2. process a little more water than you immediately need. You might only want a cuppa, but for barely any more work & time you could have a canteen full of potable water for later.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Would love any feedback, or if you have any other tips for using a Millbank bag, do share them :)

Another great video Brook :) and seeing as you ask for tips, could I suggest that when you stir up all the sediment in an area of water when pre wetting your bag that you either then collect from another undisturbed area of water or wait a while for the sediment to settle before filling.
By not collecting the extra sediment you should find your bag filters better, lasts longer and maybe works faster.

(I do appriciate you may have done this on purpose to show how well the bag works with silty water in your video)

Thanks for sharing,

Bam :)

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos

well the water won't be "sterile", but you will have effectively pasturised your water. so most of the bugs will be dead. :rolleyes:;)

like you say, boiling water, a good rolling boil: big bubbles = no troubles :cool:

cheers, and.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Does anyone have any thoughts on the use of chemical treatments to treat the water after it's been through the mill bank bag? I picked up a load of Oasis puri tabs, the same as the ones issued to uk squaddies, but haven't used them on millbank bag (or billbank bag) treated water.

Julia

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
The millbank and puritab go together like monkeys and typewriters, just give the correct contact time, which is 15 mins for the issue chlorine based tabs. One tab to one litre of filtered water. Rember always use two processes either filter and chemically treat or filter and boil.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What Southey said. Chemical tablets are a valid alternative to boiling (instead, not as well). The bag removes larger particulates that can isolate pathogens from the chemical or insulate the pathogen from the heat rendering either treatment more effective

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE