How to treat a Woodlore knife handle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Adi007 said:
...and the more inferior sheath, the maple handled ones are by far a better deal (unless you get them wet :lol: ...)

Anyone had a new, improved one yet and tried it?? :?: Hvae the handle issues been cured?

The sheath's are identical for both the maple and micarta knives.

Still waiting on my replacement maple knife, I think there's a couple of weeks to go yet.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I thought the maple handled one had a sheath that held a firesteel ... a handmade sheath as opposed to a non-handmade one?

Martyn said:
Adi007 said:
...and the more inferior sheath, the maple handled ones are by far a better deal (unless you get them wet :lol: ...)

Anyone had a new, improved one yet and tried it?? :?: Hvae the handle issues been cured?

The sheath's are identical for both the maple and micarta knives.

Still waiting on my replacement maple knife, I think there's a couple of weeks to go yet.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Adi007 said:
I thought the maple handled one had a sheath that held a firesteel ... a handmade sheath as opposed to a non-handmade one?

No mate, they're both the same, you just get the standard slip sheath with both knives. The sheath with the firesteel holder is an optional extra for "both" knives. There also seems to be no difference in the construction method of each sheath (I bought the optional firesteel sheath), they both seem to be constructed in the same manner and of the same quality.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Hoodoo said:
How do folks feel about the handle size on their woodlore? I'm interested in hearing from people with large hands.

The maple knife is perfect, but the micarta was a little thinner and it feels small in my grip. The difference is only a couple of mm in the thickness, but it feels significant.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I'm surprised the blade is thinner for the micarta. I wonder what the reasoning is behind that? The micarta is plenty thick for me.

Did I also notice in some pics that the sabre grind for the maple is slightly higher?

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Hoodoo said:
I'm surprised the blade is thinner for the micarta. I wonder what the reasoning is behind that? The micarta is plenty thick for me.

Did I also notice in some pics that the sabre grind for the maple is slightly higher?

Not sure if the steel is thinner on all of em, but it was on mine (the micarta slabs were thinner too). I'm wondering if it was a one off, maybe surface marks that were ground out or something - I dunno.

Re the higher grind - Yes, you noticed correctly, I attributed this to the thicker blade, although it could be due to a shallower edge angle also. My method of checking edge angles is very crude, so I cant be sure.

Joneszee

Nov 26, 2005
Swansea
My name is Paul Jones and I have been trying to contact Mr. Alan Wood. I have registered alanwoodknives.co.uk and have been trying to contact hime in relation to creating a web site of his products. If anybody knows Mr.Wood, I would appreciate it if they could pass my contact details to him. My company website can be found at www.glts.co.uk or by typing www.alanwoodknives.co.uk. My telephone numbers are as follows: 07710036141 or 0870 8113606 or e-mail pauljones@glts.co.uk

Joneszee said:
My name is Paul Jones and I have been trying to contact Mr. Alan Wood. I have registered alanwoodknives.co.uk and have been trying to contact hime in relation to creating a web site of his products. If anybody knows Mr.Wood, I would appreciate it if they could pass my contact details to him. My company website can be found at www.glts.co.uk or by typing www.alanwoodknives.co.uk. My telephone numbers are as follows: 07710036141 or 0870 8113606 or e-mail pauljones@glts.co.uk

I have a feeling you may not actually get much help in reaching him. Domain prospecting is a questionable practice at best...

Joneszee

Nov 26, 2005
Swansea
I can assure you that I have not registered the domain as a prospect. I have tried to contact Mr. Wood in relation to this. I am an admirer of his work and saw a reference to the domain in an airgun magazine. When I tried to view the site I became aware of that the domain had not been registered. As an IT Support company, it is highly unlikely that Mr. Wood would be in our target market. I am more than prepared to give the domain name for no charge. I would also be happy to host the site for no charge. I am sorry if my post gave the wrong impression. The above offers are made by an enthusiast and not a prospector. I once again appologise if it has been viewed in the wrong contex.

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
Joneszee
reading your first post I had jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Reading your second post put me straight.
The above offers are made by an enthusiast and not a prospector
I offer my apologies.

Welcome to BushcraftUK.

Have a happy Christmas.

Jon.

Joneszee

Nov 26, 2005
Swansea
I can understand your initial sentiments in relation to this. I have attanded a bushcraft weekend with the guys at SAS survival which was brilliant (www.sassurvival.co.uk). I am also booked onto a 4 day course for next year. I am fascinated by the different techniques used for outdoor living. As an absolute beginner I would appreciate any tips or reference sites that you may have. :beerchug:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE