how to tan rabbit hide

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hey up i have loads of rabbit skins that are not normaly used and think its a bit of a waste and would like to amend this and start tanning them.

BUT HOW???????

Your comments please oh and no chemicals please ta chris.......

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
ooh this was on river cottage if i remember right they used egg and massaged it in then kept stretching it over their knee's infront of an open fire turns out a bit like shammy leather.

i believe brain can also be used?

nevetsjc80

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
buckinghamshire
I do my tanning in a pay as you go booth for that sun kissed look, but not sure they allow you to take rabbits in:)

Seriously tho, rubbing salt in will dry it but wont be as soft. Brain works but doubt you have keep the heads, it more of a deer think i think. I saw the hugh/river cottage bit with the eggs that looked good. try going on to the channel 4 website so see if you can still stream that episode as it was nt that long ago, or try youtube:)

Steve

Joe

Need to contact Admin...
Hi,

This is how I do it with eggs.

First scrape the flesh side of the pelt with a dull drawknife type implement to remove any membrane and flesh. Underneath the pink membrane you will see that the skin is slightly mottled and this is the surface you want to get back to. Sometimes you can peel this membrane off but you do stand a chance of ripping the delicate pelt. Be careful at the edges where the skin is thinner or you'll tear holes in it. Also, drape your pelt over a round, smooth log to scrape it, securing it by pinching the top of the pelt between your mid section and the top of the log then pushing away from you with the de-fleshing tool.

Next, whip up a whole egg (or the brain of the rabbit) in a bowl with a little warm water and tip it onto the flesh side of the pelt, rubbing it in for as long as possible. If you've got time, fold the pelt over flesh side to flesh side and leave it somewhere cool for a while, maybe even overnight. Don't leave the pelt damp for any longer than that or the hair may start to slip.

When you come to dry the pelt, pat it with an old tea towel to soak up any excess moisture. It should feel cold and clammy but not slippery. Slippery means that it's retaining too much moisture and will take ages to dry fully so keep soaking up the moisture with the towel. Now you have to work the pelt as it dries. Sit somewhere fairly warm - next to the campfire or woodburner, but don't force dry the pelt or it'll come out hard. Using fingertips pull and stretch it side to side, top to bottom, they're pretty stretchy at this point. After a bit you will notice some areas, when stretched will whiten. Feel these bits - they should feel cool and soft but not clammy like the rest of the skin. As you work, more and more of the skin will turn white - you need to achieve this white, soft look all over the pelt. Any thicker areas can be rubbed back and forth over a sharp (ish) wooden edge like the back of a chair. It's quite a lot of pulling and stretching but the time soon goes when you're chatting or listening to the radio. As long as every fibre is stretched as it dries, your pelt will be lovely and soft just like the chemically cured ones.

Then smoke it to 'set' the work you've done and ensure that the pelt stays soft if it ever gets damp again. Do this by suspending it up in the smokey eaves of your camp shelter when next out in the woods or make a proper smoker of some sort. Hardwood chippings mixed with a little punky (rotten but dry) birch is great. The longer you smoke it, the darker the flesh side will go. A tan/buff colour is about perfect but any amount of smoking is good.

Good luck and a Happy New Year to you!

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
cheers for this tutorial Joe - i have also wondered hows it done and plan on giving this a try as soon as i can get hold of some bunnies.

cheers

Joe

Need to contact Admin...
Brilliant! Glad it worked for you. Just the same as most bushcrafty activities you have to put the ticking clock of modern society out of your mind and just accept that it takes as long as it takes and can't be rushed. Perseverance pays off eventually.

The production team at River Cottage weren't going along with that one though...

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
awsome thanks joe will give it a go with the brain next time out. will let you all know how i get on when i get round to it thanks again to all chris and happy bushey new year.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE