How To Survive in the Wilderness Using Your Mobile Phone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nightfly

On a new journey
Dec 22, 2010
ANC
Putting a razor blade in the battery compartment might be frowned upon when you go through airport security...

monkey spanner

Forager
Jul 4, 2010
kent
If you phone 112 from your mobile, the call center in Brussels can triangulate your position.
All-way's use this option in an emergency situation.

Shingsowa

Forager
Sep 27, 2007
Ruthin, North Wales
The whole mobile phone triangulation business is very hit and miss. We use it quite often ( well, the Police do) in my MR and SAR work. It's a great way of finding out if Person X is vaguely in the area you are searching, or if they are in fact 200 miles away in Berkshire, but don't expect it to produce an accurate 8 figure grid reference...

The region I operate in is currently trialling an app where we text a code to the missing person, and if it's a smartphone they can click on the embedded link and it emails their location to us using the inbuilt GPS in their phone. Working very well so far!

Dec 16, 2007
We used to get call from the kent ambulance control for jobs in south essex as the tower in kent picked up the call and then that was punted to kent amb control. So it mainly depends on the towers. I say if you need to be found get a GPS enable PLB it can pin you to a 45m area in the open or a 100m area in a closed area then you get in to a visual thing for the SAR chopper.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE