How to remove molds from canvas tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 8, 2019
Manchester
Got a canvas tent, after using in the rain, forgot dry it out. Now mold every where, inside the fibre. Yellow and black mold. Tried vinegar, doesn't work at all.

Any suggestions?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I use (with success) a product designed for boats. T-tops, canvas seats.

Then there is a product that protects against new mold. also boat related.

Bleach works well too. Slightly diluted. Of course it will not prevent new mold.

(I do not remember the name of the marine use products)

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
There’s some stuff called Curtain Magic, it’s from New Zealand but you’ll find it on Amazon. It’s quite expensive because it is sent by the seller from NZ, but if you think the tent is worth it then I’d recommend it. We used it on net and main curtains that were green and black and it got rid of the mould in minutes. Thing is, the mould is happily dissolving the canvas of your tent, so vinegar is a good option. It might not remove the visual aspect, but it should have killed the mould. Curtains, well, they’re not exactly structural like your canvas so weakening them with a bleaching solution doesn’t really matter.

You’ll have to do a tie dye tent. :)

Oh, and if you get over on ROF, and still have the upside down biltong knife that I gently sliced into my thumb at Bardsters that time, then I will load the box and send spicy dried meat your way. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Vinegar, which will kill the mould, then lemon juice and salt worked over the mildew with a toothbrush. Let that dry and it ought to remove most of the mildew stains. Then you need to clean the canvas and dry it properly this time. In our climate I'd find a decent canvas proofing brush or spray on solution and use that to protect it afterwards.

I like canvas but it's a faff to keep it in good order if you're not using it often and you don't have someplace to hang it up to air dry properly when you get home.
I think it's still better than plastic though.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE