How to put a loop on a braided rope

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
want to put a clip on the end but not sure the best method

I'm trying to read your mind here Tengu,
I'm guessing that you want a decorative clip on a loop but not a knotted loop.
If you want a neat finish, then a whipped loop looks good, just don't be tempted to seal the cut end by melting. To cut braided rope, wrap it in tape and cut carefully to avoid it fraying, then seal with clear nail-varnish. There are several types of whip finish which you might have to research seperately but they can be remarkably tight and secure.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Looks hopeful, Ill try it on my paracord...

Butr the rope is very fine braid...Id be hard pressed to get a needle though it, let alone a thich wire....

CRAZY FROG

Forager
Aug 9, 2007
essex
want to put a clip on the end but not sure the best method

I would suggest that you have a chat with an old sail maker or rope make they may take the time to show you how to do it with any problems, if not try and find a book on knots and splicing which you may find at you local library.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
are you familiar with a ''Fid'', makes splicing easier, just a hollow tapering tube allowing cord to be laid inside to lessen bulk. They're available from good sailing shops in different sizes. They're like a hollow marlin spike, just a thought in case you didn't know about them.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I dont think that would do it.

its a simple load bearing rope, I want a shackle at one end and a shackle and climbing carabiner at the other.

but both my candidate ropes are natural fibre. should I replace with man made??

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
with natural braided cordage/rope as opposed to hollow-braid synthetic, you can form the loop and whip the two parts of cord together neat and tight and finish off by sewing right through both parts of rope at each end of whipping (when whipping length finished attach a strong needle to same whipping cord - push needle through both parts of rope directly at end of whipping - take needle down the lenght of whipping to the other end and push through both parts of rope exactly the same - in effect encircling the whippping lengthways if you know what i mean - repeat as many times as neccessary), a wool/darning needle and pliers will be ok. This method is for braid only and not for twisted rope for obvious reasons (slippage).

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Whenever I've braided a loop using leather I just create the loop in the braided section, and work the free ends back into the braid for half a dozen passes or so. Pull it tight and cut the ends off. It bulks out the briad a little, if you want to hide it just put a turks head around it and no-one will know...

Mark

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Tengu put up a pic of the rope you intend to use.It will help us to help you ,at the minute we're all guessing what rope you have .Different rope and lays need different methods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE