How to preserve food with water bath canning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Tonight's video may well be of interest to some here. In this video we demonstrate the technique of "water bath canning". Using this, many foods (we are showing cordial but it works well for tomatoes, jams and many more ) can be stored safely, at room temperature, for a number of years.

Reactions: Fusty and Tsantsa

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Have just made gooseberry and elderflower cordial, waterbathed 4 jars and one clip top bottle in the fridge for immediate use.
I bought the ball water bath canning kit earlier in the year and it's my first time using it.
Always wanted to further my skills, so thank you for giving me the kick up the butt to actualy go for it. I'm hooked now.
I managed to find a large stock pot in a charity shop, but I can only get 3 kilner jars in at a time, so it takes a while, but I'm on the lookout for bigger pot.
Good tip with the pen too. I loath scrubbing old labels off!

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fantastic! Well done you. I tend to watch eBay & local physical auctions for catering pans. Ours are huge, but, unless you have a commercial stove, 25 litres is about as big as will fit on a burner. A big Genware pan with lid can be £100 new - but very cheap second hand!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE