how to prepare grass seeds

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Run through a field of grass with a tennis racket to bash the seed heads and a pillowcase on a hoop (to keep it open) to catch the seed.
Examine the seed VERY carefully for ergot, preferably looking through an eyeglass to get a good view - if you're not sure DO NOT EAT IT.
Grind the seed roughly to get the husks off.
Drop the seed from a height and blow through the falling seed so the husks blow away.
Grind the de-husked seed and mix with water to make a dough and cook by the fire.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I googled some pics of ergot, suggest you do the same if you're planning on doing this seriously. Here are a couple:
Ergot2.jpg

1785.15ergotinbarley.jpg

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If you want to have a go at winowing and grinding your own, try animal feed (wheat oat ect) that way you know it is clean. Some ergots that grow grasses aren't as obvious as the a purpera one that you get on wheat and rye. I have seen various fungi on most types of wild grass. This year isn't the ergot year as the previous 3 have been, but I don't bother with wild grass seed it is too high a risk, and too much work. However seeds like plantain and nettle are healthy and nutrious. Stuff like millet and quinoa can be grown easyly. The process is basically the same no matter what seed.

Threshing ; removes stalk, I find lying the sheafs on a sheet on the floor and treading removes seed from stalk.
dehulling ; depends on seeds, plantian needs a light pounding some need rubbing.
winnowing ; put seed in bowl and throw and blow to remove light chaf. I have a plastic bowl that when rubbed with nylon gets static and the chaff sticks to the edge. nettle can be make your lips feel funny at this stage.
grinding ; depends on seed I pound with a rolling pin. a proper grinder makes for a lot less work.

the green bits of grass can be juiced and are supposed to be very nutrious, the roots are said to be edible as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE