How to plan a solar system

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For those of us interested in homesteading and off grid living, solar power is becoming increasingly approachable. One tricky aspect of building such things is understanding how all the components are compatible.

Our latest video explains how to get the right number of panels, the right type of batteries and even wire gauge based upon the hub of the system - the charge controller

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Does that charge controller control the output to an inverter?
Hi! It controls the input to charge the batteries. We plan to cover battery arrays and inverters in future episodes. This one is pretty much "how to store power". The next one is "how to use stored power".

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thank you but can you help me please? If I send you a picture of the info sticker on the panels and tell you how many panels I have got could you tell me exactly what I need please . I dont have a control box. just the panels for now. dx
Of course, whack it on this thread if you like. What type of batteries are you planning to charge?

Last edited:

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Hi! It controls the input to charge the batteries. We plan to cover battery arrays and inverters in future episodes. This one is pretty much "how to store power". The next one is "how to use stored power".
I only ask because the battery meter on my charge controller is rather crude and, from what I've read in the past, the better system is to use a shunt. But I'll shut up now and wait for the next episode!

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I only ask because the battery meter on my charge controller is rather crude and, from what I've read in the past, the better system is to use a shunt. But I'll shut up now and wait for the next episode!
Shunts work but there are other options these days. I'll try to cover that too!

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Of course, whack it on this thread if you like. What type of batteries are you planning to charge?
not sure yet B R. I am open to suggestion . I will take the photos and send and await your advice and go from there. might be a day or so posting coz working away. thanks for you help. dale x

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE