How to obtain salt in the wild?

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Is sea salt better than the denatured salt? Maybe having more impurities.

If you start to come off a 'normal' salty diet and move to a healthier one would you get any withdrawal symptoms?

Interestingly, a reduction in salt in your diet tends to cause a craving for sugar, and conversely a reduction in sugar causes salt cravings :rolleyes:

Best stick to the chips and deep-fried mars bar diet after all :p

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
If you have a pair of worn socks they should be full of salts too - simply add to soups & stews or soak in boiling water for the most hideous drink I could imagine.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Or if you're likely to get into real danger - then a packet of pork scratchings secreted away in your survival pack should do the trick

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
You can actually purchase low sodium salt, ie potassium salt, from most supermarkets these days. Saxa do one i think. Combine the two for a convenient survival thinger for your pack?

Probably better of with rehydration sachets.

Think they have a few more beneficial things in as well as potassium chloride & sodium chloride.

http://rehydrate.org/rehydration/index.html is quite interesting reading

There are several commercially available products but an inexpensive home-made solution consists of 8 level teaspoons of sugar and 1 level teaspoon of table salt mixed in 1 liter of water. A half cup of orange juice or half of a mashed banana can be added to each liter both to add potassium and to improve taste.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
It's sodium I think that you need, not salt? Sodium is a component of salt.
You could try eating wood ash, that should have sodium carbonate in it.
Ah, you do need a bit of chloride for nerves and whatnot as well.

Neuroscience for kids - the action potential (how ions power nerves)
Page with search terms highlighted
Page as nature intended

Probably more than you wanted to know about calcium chloride
http://www.dow.com/productsafety/finder/cacl_2.htm

I can't make head nor tail of "denatured salt" - anyone else?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Denatured is the term usually applied to things like pure alcohol, ethanol, which has a bitterant added to stop folks drinking it. Un denatured is potable stuff used for high grade tinctures and the like.

Denatured salt is salt that has had additives added to let it flow, or to help it keep it crystaline form (roadsalt)

cheers,
Toddy

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Denatured is the term usually applied to things like pure alcohol, ethanol, which has a bitterant added to stop folks drinking it. Un denatured is potable stuff used for high grade tinctures and the like.

Denatured salt is salt that has had additives added to let it flow, or to help it keep it crystaline form (roadsalt)

cheers,
Toddy

Thanks Toddy, I think that makes sense.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know what you mean :) I'm a science graduate and having to ask for "undenatured" alcohol when I want pure stuff strikes me as an oxymoron :rolleyes: It's the double negative thing :tapedshut

Denaturing happens to a lot of our processed foods, e.g.Icing sugar is denatured sugar since it has a non caking agent added.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE