How to make a Sheffield folding knife, Trevor Ablett slide show

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I think folk will enjoy this slide show from Jon Henley of the Guardian showing and telling how to make a traditional Sheffield slip joint in 50 or so pictures. Nice to see a good bit of press for a traditional craft.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/audioslideshow/2010/jan/26/sheffield-pocket-knife-trevor-ablett

If you take the time to register a user name and password you can leave a comment, the more favorable comments the more likely we are to get more of these.

and this is the article that appeared in the paper on Saturday

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/jan/23/make-a-sheffield-pocket-knife

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Just watched the show. Fantastic to see such craftsmanship. Made me sad as well though to think that we may be witnessing the demise of yet another age old skill in this country.:eek:

Ratbag

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Brilliant article. Thanks for the link Robin.

Where next for the Sheffield cutlery industry? Certain aspects of traditional Sheffield manufacturing are alive and doing very well, thanks - I work at a company that produces forged metal parts for aero engines and suchlike - but it's difficult to see how the trade of, for example, craftsman-made penknives for everyday use can continue when Trevor hangs up his apron...
Rat

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Brilliant article. Thanks for the link Robin.

Where next for the Sheffield cutlery industry? Certain aspects of traditional Sheffield manufacturing are alive and doing very well, thanks - I work at a company that produces forged metal parts for aero engines and suchlike - but it's difficult to see how the trade of, for example, craftsman-made penknives for everyday use can continue when Trevor hangs up his apron...
Rat

Is that forgemasters? I did a tour of forgemasters last year and the unbelievable skill and knowledge in that place was mindboggling. There is obviously a lot of technology and science involved but when it comes down to it there is a lot of art and tacit knowledge in the blokes who make the moulds and manage the pouring of the metal too.

Ratbag

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Not Forgemasters, but similar. And I agree, the knowledge and skill of some of the blokes is phenomenal.
Not sure if I can get you a site tour though - unless you pretend to be from one of the banks :)
Rat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE