How to make a canvas bedroll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Have sorted out my canvas and this is going to be my first project (largley as its biggest)

Has anyone any plans?

also where would I get a long zip?

I also have a big piece of groundsheet. should I make the base of that. and if so, box the sides like in a tent?

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
For a long zip you might be able to cannabalise an old sleeping bag.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Ditch the zip and put toggle buttons and loops on instead. As long as you have an overlap of canvas at the top that is substantial enough, there won't be a problem, and the button is quieter than a zip and easier to repair if it goes wrong.

barry

Dec 24, 2004
dingwall
hi there if you look in wildwood wisdom by ellsworth jaeger there is a rough kind of plan in chapter 4 which im sure you could adapt to your own needs as i fancy having a go my self if you dont have the book and cant get a shot of it let me know and i could try and scan it for you and put it up only thing being im not to great with computers but can get help if need be hope this helps angood luck with the project look forward to seeing how you get on

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
spamel said:
Ditch the zip and put toggle buttons and loops on instead. As long as you have an overlap of canvas at the top that is substantial enough, there won't be a problem, and the button is quieter than a zip and easier to repair if it goes wrong.
Sounds a better idea. Maybe you could stitch it closed for a third its length and button (or lace) the rest.

OutBackP

Jul 5, 2006
Bridport, Dorset
Sounds like an australian swag. I slept in one for month's while traveling. One of my most comfertable beds. Unfortunatly I had to leave it behind when I came over. The only problem is they can be quite heavy, and bulky. It was great for me as I was travelling in a four wheel drive. I have been meaning to make one over here out of gortex and a sleeping mat. If you send me a pm at the end of the week, to remind me. I'll try to draw out my design. Can't do it now I havn't slept for a couple day's. Gotta try to catch some beauty sleep. (And I need it)

Good luck.

Outback

barry

Dec 24, 2004
dingwall
here is the pic of it folded up with blankets or sleeping bag inside
the text that goes along

there are two flaps at the sides as well as a foot piece.
these are folded over the sleeper,the outer one tied down with tie-strings or a zipper may be used.
a canopy or head shelter is attached at the head of the bed roll,which protects the sleepermfrom dew,rain or snow.
side curtains may be added,made long enough to fold under the pillow.
a cheesecloth screen may be sewn to the front of this head shelter to keep insects out.

Attachments

• tmp58.jpg
    tmp58.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 228

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
I have never seen anyone use the poles, as in your pitures. Most people just throw that flap over their head, so it covers their face.

I have a book written buy a stockman, and he has a great design of one.As soon as I find it I will postsome pics.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE