How to keep warm without a fire?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
In a tent it isn't such a big deal, but still worth thinking of....since you don't want to be breathing into your sleeping bag, but do want to keep your nose warm, bring a scarf or similar. I have a woven wool scarf (lighter by far than the knit ones) and I wrap it around neck and face when I sleep in the cold. It stops my nose from feeling froze and the wool keeps insulating even with the condensation from my breath.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Please don't rely on a crusader cooker or MRE heat bags in this type of weather. The heater bags are poor in colder weather and you can't safely use a crusader cooker in a tent.

Gas stove performance drops in cold weather, but in a ventilated tent and with great care you can cook in a tent at your own risk. As the temperature rises the performance of the gas stove improves. Stoves like the Jetboil see a drop but some gas stoves are designed to handle cold due to better design such as the Primus ETA stove (not the ETA Express thats not much better than a Jetboil).

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Socks and gloves containing silver are said to be good for helping to keep warm. There's a condition called Raynauds - something to do with poor blood circulation - and their Association says this about their 'Silver Socks':

Quote: The silver socks reflect 95% of the body’s energy back to the skin continually adjusting to a core of 37° temperature and will keep the feet warmer in the winter but cool and fresh in the summer.

from: http://www.raynauds.org.uk/potioncms/viewer.asp?a=132

As usual, nothing to with with them...

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
To be honest, up to minus 15 or 20C in a tent is no big problem with the right ground insulation and a good sleeping bag. If you can change into dry thermals and other clothing do so but I have found that if I am too late pitching it's best to just get in the bag after removing any damp outer layer.

Just slept out this weekend - only -5C but high wind which is more of a problem. I have regularly slept on or near the top of UK mountains in snow (in tents) and never had trouble keeping warm without fires.

As someone else has said, forget using gas in anything less than a few degrees C.

I know alcohol is bad if you are likley to suffer really bad conditions but take the right precautions and assess the risks; a wee dram is a nice way to finish the day but just have the one.

Finally, in a tent, a candle gives off an incredible amount of heat - just make sure it's safe and ventilated.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Probably already been covered, but for good insulation read lots of layers so you can add and remove layers to stop getting cold or overheating.

I also use a softie jacket as it packs up relatively small and is very warm

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I used to fish from the docks into the Mersey during very cold winters, no fires allowed but I took with me a couple of candles and lit one in a tin can, stood over it and it kept me warm enough.

Nobody is gonna see that.

Trackerman

Forager
Apr 3, 2008
Sweden
http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Skills/Fire/Fire.htm
Look at the Dakota Pit Fire. I don´t know how effective this fire are, but as he writes: A Dakota Pit Fire is also used when one wants to be inconspicuous. This is one of the fire types that the Air Force teaches for use by downed pilots who must evade an enemy whilst surviving. This is due to the fact that it does not throw much light, and is therefore primarily used for warmth.
Back to topic, with a warm sleeping bag for extreme winter conditions and a good bivvi bag and insulation under you, no fire is needed. With a bottle of hot water down at your feets. As other mentioned about cooking/stove and clothing, you will do just fine.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Thanks for the usefull tips guy, I'd never herd of the Dakota pit before, will try that next time. Any more tips, bring em in.........

Feb 22, 2009
Thundersley, Essex
For a short stay you could use self heating meals, good but heavy. There is a company called de-icers that supply battery heated clothing. Their stuff comes with rechargable packs and chargers. Also Ray M did a thing where he got one of the crew to stand in very cold water after the crew dryed off and put on dry socks he said his feet were toasty for the whole night.
Finaly if you do a search for homemade bivi alot of the USA sites go on to tell you about insulation in winter......Hope that helps....John
PS. I'm nothing to do with any companies I suggest.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
This is probably dumb, and OT, but is there such a thing as an insulated tent? The reason it crosses my mind comes from messing about with putting steam into a tent to make an improvised sauna (worked too!). I noticed that on a colder day I had to throw a couple of old blankets and a tarp over the tent to keep in the heat, made a big difference. I was thinking that you could use agricultural fleece covered by a cheapo tent skin over your "real" tent? I've also heard that yurts are insulated with giant bubble wrap. Not exactly backpacking light I suppose though.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
You can buy battery heated socks from a place called Mark's Work Wearhouse in Canada;
http://www2.marks.com/productdetail...D29ADBFA7CF44E278725720A002ABD9D?OpenDocument

You can also try Canadian Tire;
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/p...=0821766 Northern+Escape+Battery-Heated+Mitts

They both say 2 x D batteries per pair. So much for the ultra light types! How many titanium sporks is that? I've never tried any of these, even when I worked outside for extended periods in Canada in really cold weather I wore normal socks as well as wool socks and did alright. British cold weather socks with the red ring are all you should need and they're cheap!

I've camped out on the coldest nights this year and only had a small hobo cooker for heat about half the time, so I don't think you'll be at much risk. It was nice to do a hot water bottle when I did use the cooker though! I'm also in the Midlands so it's not as cold as up north...

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
I second the coveralls. and Carhart makes some of the best.
I have been using them on my ranch for over 30 years and
have never found there better.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
This is probably dumb, and OT, but is there such a thing as an insulated tent? The reason it crosses my mind comes from messing about with putting steam into a tent to make an improvised sauna (worked too!). I noticed that on a colder day I had to throw a couple of old blankets and a tarp over the tent to keep in the heat, made a big difference. I was thinking that you could use agricultural fleece covered by a cheapo tent skin over your "real" tent? I've also heard that yurts are insulated with giant bubble wrap. Not exactly backpacking light I suppose though.
A insulated tent .Yes it is called a yuart

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This is done all the time. Mostly by military units on patrol in enemy territory, in a covert OP, etc (or on field exercises simulating same). Basically it is a crap life; you will be cold and uncomfortable, at least in northern Europe climate (most of the time).

Mr Brown of NJ (aka "my grandfather wore blue lycra with an 'S' on the chest") has some suggestions for how to do this kind of thing.

Sussex Man

Jul 14, 2008
Robertsbridge
All good advice so far, definitly eat and drink well- I've camped with an arctic issue bag (new type) thermarest and bivi bag in -8 to -15 with no fire, and frankly was a bit too hot. Don't bother with battery socks and c#@p like that, just get good quality basic kit designed for the job. (batteries and cold don't mix- electricals and dirt don't mix) save your money and look at things like woolpower undies, good sleeping bags, buffalo/down tops etc.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Woke up on Sunday morning toasty warm while the temperature was below freezing and there was serious frost on the tarp. I was under said tarp, on a thermarest inside down sleeping bag with silk liner inside a bivi bag. I was wearing a merino baselayer and my kecks and socks. Also, I had steak and couscous and a brew before turning in. Like most people have said, the secret to being warm is not to get cold in the first place and not to get into a sleeping bag cold as you will lose more body heat trying to warm it up - it isn't warm of its own accord - it needs your heat at a time when you can spare little.

Mar 27, 2009
Sweden
If you can allow your self to make a fire for a while (daytime, limited fuel, different position before moving in etc), take some rocks (size of a fist) and heaten them up. When sleeping, keep one at your stomach and another one behind your knees, the third and four in the armpits. They will keep the heat for at least 3-5 hours, giving you a comfy sleep. Not to recommend if the clothing is of plastics, GTX or similiar...

/Koskela

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE