How to keep things cool?

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I was just wondering if there is any way to keep things cool in camp for a few days up to a week without buying a cool box?

Is there a way or am I just hoping for too much? :p

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I think you may be hoping for too much, I'm afraid.
Two things that may help are, firstly - store things in the shade but where they are still exposed to a breeze. That helps. And secondly, if you are near water then store them in the water (in a water-tight container, obviously).
I can't think of any other clever remedies.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To be honest Asa your better off taking food with good keeping properties than relying on outdoor cooling. Many of these methods work to some extent but none are great.

For all the talk, you will see cold boxes at many if not most weekend camps. If you are on your own or say two of you for a couple of nights you'll have no problems; if group camping at a fixed site a cold box is great to have, they are cheap enough to buy, put in a couple of bottle of frozen water to keep things cool and they work well.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
"Bush Cooler"
Stand your goods to be cooled on something like a brick thet is stood in an open topped container of water (so it looks like an island in a pond kind of thing). Then drape a wet cloth such as cheesecloth/muslin/old cotton T-shirt over it so the cloth dips into the water.
Stand the whole shooting match in a breezy spot.
The water wicks up the cloth as the breeze evaporates the water in the cloth.
Constant evaporation = coolth.....the more evaporation the cooler it gets!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Taking frozen stuff kind of gives you a bit of a head start, packing none frozen alongside will also help to keep cool.
Water is always good if there's any about you can use, seal your stuff in a bag then drop it into the lake/river/puddle.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Cold stuff, when it is cold, i.e. frozen, or just out of the chiller, can be kept cold for a fair while by insulating it from the outside air/warmth. We used to wrap stuff in sodden blanket and leave it in the shade, it usually worked and was kept ok for upto four days.

Besides, if you source your grub from the frozen foods section of the supermarket, do you actually comply with the best before dates, me, I don't, I keep stuff much longer and employ the look, smell and texture test to decide whether I will cook it or not, and often when cooked, stuff that has been hanging around for a while gets curried.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
"Bush Cooler"
Stand your goods to be cooled on something like a brick thet is stood in an open topped container of water (so it looks like an island in a pond kind of thing). Then drape a wet cloth such as cheesecloth/muslin/old cotton T-shirt over it so the cloth dips into the water.

Yes, that's the way my grandmother used to do it - they didn't have a fridge - except instead of a cloth, since they were at home, they'd use a sort of open-bottom unglazed earthenware jar. The whole thing thing would then stand in the shade of a tree and keep the milk fresh.

Regarding frozen stuff - don't forget that frozen food is "half-cooked" - the freezing has broken down to a lesser or greater extent the cell walls etc. Thus the defrosted food will go off (decay) sooner than fresh food.

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
The best method I've seen used is a more basic version of John Fenna's description.

It was simply a wet cloth in a breezy shaded spot with the cloth being regularly re-moistened - it was remarkably effective.

I know long distance motorcyclists who use the same principle by piercing a small hole in a water bottle which is in a canvas bag. This is placed on top of a pannier.

The slowly leaking water soaks into the bag and as the bike moves the water evaporates, keeping any other contents (usually in a ziplock bag within the canvas bag) cool.

Again, this is remarkably effective.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Also, you can dig a hole, line with rocks and stick your food in, cover it over with a large stone to stop dogs eating your food! If it is frozen and you can insulate the top stone, it should stay cool longer. Moss would be a good insulator. Alternatively, take jerked meat and dried beans and powder stuffs to make all of your food up with. Yummy!

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Slightly porous water vessels are used around the world to keep their contents cool; it's the evaporation principle. The British Army has issued a linen canvas one for decades.

What exactly are you trying to keep cool Samuel?

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
There is nothing in particular at the moment that I am trying to keep cool, more trying to find out if it's possible so I know in the future.

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
"Bush Cooler"

I use the same method when canoeing to keep my coolbox cooler for longer, large cloth over the box and a corner left in the water to keep wet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE