How to hollow a bamboo?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’m looking to thread an electrical cable down a couple of bamboo garden oil lights to make a more permanent fixture.

Any bright spark got an idea how to pierce the walls between the compartments?

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yeah that’s the sort of thing. There must be a way to take the compartment barriers back enough to thread a cable easily. Like a bamboo blowpipe.

I’ve got a couple of led bulbs that look just like flaming lamps. So I want to mount them to look authentic without trailing a cable.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
They aren't quite straight, bamboo canes. I wonder if one of those long bendy springs plumbers etc use for bending pipes might help

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
a length of rebar or mild steel with a chisel point ground on the end, used as a drop weight should punch its way through easy enough. Or you could use a large wood nail inserted in a smaller diameter piece of bamboo

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
A squirrel might do too, or a troupe of trained and determined mice ... warming them up might help. Never know

Have you thought of experimenting with your airgun? ... warming them up might help :lol:

Last edited:
Reactions: Nice65

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What's the ID of the bamboo? That might determine your choices.
I like the plan to use a long rod or tube with teeth in one end to saw through the septa..

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have used a rebar, cut by the builders the way they do. This creates a kind of edge.
Then I just rotate until I go through.
The remaining sides of the septum I just remove with a sawing action with the rebar.

Reactions: Robson Valley

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Don’t know about bright spark :) you don’t mention how long the bamboo will be? anyway this is how I would do it. As mentioned cut the end of a 20mm rebar at an angle with a grinder to give it a chisel/cutting edge, break through each segment with just the weight of the bar and force. Replace the bar with metal or plastic tube, thread the cable into the tube and withdraw the tube when through.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Put the bamboo in a vice or clamp. Heat the end of the rebar or similar long piece of metal over a gas ring, watching out for your fingers, and burn your way through the internal dividers. Keep heating and burning from both ends until you have the required clearance.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Don’t know about bright spark :) you don’t mention how long the bamboo will be? anyway this is how I would do it. As mentioned cut the end of a 20mm rebar at an angle with a grinder to give it a chisel/cutting edge, break through each segment with just the weight of the bar and force. Replace the bar with metal or plastic tube, thread the cable into the tube and withdraw the tube when through.

It’s one of those garden spirit burners. Split and spread at the top with a metal bottle and wick. Probably about 4’ tall, internal diameter would be about an inch.

I have plenty to be going on with, many thanks to you guys. Red hot rebar is favourite so far, I’m not going to faff about with cutting teeth. It’d be simpler to have someone weld a hole cutter on a length of steel. I’d only purpose build a long hole saw if I had loads of them to do. Burning it is, more fun too. :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Welding holesaws?

Nah just take your length of rebar 30 second grind to put an edge on it then straight in the drill chuck.
Could always do that and still heat it up lol adds a bit of excitement

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I’m not going to faff about with cutting teeth. It’d be simpler to have someone weld a hole cutter on a length of steel. I’d only purpose build a long hole saw if I had loads of them to do. Burning it is, more fun too. :)

If you have a bit of steel conduit laying around, it's good enough. After drilling out the bamboo, you'd be able to chop off the last inch of the conduit, with the teeth, and use the rest of the conduit as normal, AND you'd have a handy little hole saw for the future.

I have a Nicholson hole saw, the shank is hexagonal, I think... that would fit in commercially available extension bars.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Traditionally (and how I was shown as a kid to make blowpipes) the bamboo was split, the walls scraped out so the inside was absolutely smooth, and the bamboo was bound back together. It would look quite good IMHO. We always used a type of raffia but natural cord of some kind would look good too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE