How to cook / eat Alexanders?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fireman sam

Jan 26, 2009
the woods
Hi All,

This weekend gone I got to go to the coast and tried a few wild edibles including Alexanders. However, I found it to be almost inedible due to being rock hard despite cooking it for a good ten minutes in boiling water. Now I know they are definitely edible, and apparently very nice, so clearly I did something wrong. As such, I was wondering if someone could answer the following questions for me regarding their harvesting and prep, if so many thanks.

1. Exactly which bit of the plant is it that is normally eaten? Is it the bottom of the main stem just above where it goes into the ground or the bottom of the leaf stalk just above where it is attached to the main stem? Or Either?

2. What time of year is it edible and what time of year is the best time to harvest it?

3. Did I cook it long enough (10 mins)?

Many thanks in advance

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I'll skip all the bits on description and history but here's what it says in food for free:

The most succulent part of the plant is the stem. you should cut those leaf stems which grow near the base of the plants, where they are thick and have been partially blanched by the surrounding grass or the plant's own foliage. You should be able to cut about such inches of pinkish stalk from each stem (discarding the greener bit). Don't be put off by the plant's rather cloying Angelica smell; this dissapears almost completely with cooking. Cook these stems in boiling water for not more than ten minutes. Then eat them like asparagus, with molten butter. They have a wonderfully delicate texture, and a pleasantly aromatic taste.

Phew, that took a long time to type :p

It also says that at one point all parts of the plant has been used, such as soup from the upper parts of the roots, flower buds were used in medieval salads and the young leaves make a spicy addition to modern green salads.

Hope that helps.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I think it might be a bit late for them now... we don't get them round here, too far from the sea I think, but my friend always picks them early in the year, and peels the stalks before cooking lengths of it for only a few mins. Maybe it's the peel that's the issue? or maybe they're just a bit too old and not so tender.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE