how to colour leather sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andyre

Forager
Apr 20, 2007
Abingdon, Oxon
Hi, as a relative newbie i have just bought my first knife ( well first for about 20 years)
I have bought a mora in a leather sheath, trouble is the sheath is a very light tan colour.
Could anyone tell me the best way to darken the leather (either dark brown or black)
I have looked on the forums but couldn't find any threads

Cheers Andy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Quick and easy.
Use meths to degrease the sheath. Apply several coats of shoe dye from Woolies. Polish when dry and dark enough for your tastes.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Hmm, if your Mora sheath is one of the simple scandi types;then IIRC they weren't too heavily made, nor did they have a liner.
Perhaps you can do the darkening and the hardening all together, by giving it the full hot wax dip.
For details ,just do a forum search , I'm sure you'll find what you need.

Ceeg

I would think Mora would coat the leather in something ? not sure but it could effect the coloring process , leather shoe dye will work as said above or for a nice black stick some wire wool in some viniger leave a few days and you have a dye this stuff reacts with the tannin or something in the leather turning it black gives a nice mat finish

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use chip shop type malt - adds one of my favourite scents to the wood or leather(for a while!) works well on high tannin woods such as Oak as well as leather.

Andyre

Forager
Apr 20, 2007
Abingdon, Oxon
Thanks guy's :You_Rock_
I now have a nice matt black sheath for my knife
Having internet trouble at the moment so will try and post a pic soon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE