How to clean a fitted carpet

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
...without fancy kit.

My Nesting box is getting old and tatty and I suspect my Landlord is happy to have me around as it saves him replacing it until I leave...

By and large its ok though...but the lounge carpet need a clean, a shampoo, I mean, as neighbours kindly gave me a wee vaccum.

What to do?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'd ask the landlord ( Being a Landlord Myself ) if he would give you half the money as a sign of good faith and rent out a Carpet Shampoo Cleaner yourself or get a price from a man that does.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
1001 carpet fresh. Its a spray on foam just leave it to work in for 5 and Hoover it off. A couple of shots with it gets all kinds up. We have a 4 year old and a cream carpet! It's about £2 in asda, I would wager it's a similar price elsewhere. Failing that hire a rug doctor, that even pulled up tattoo ink!

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Some Dry cleaners shops hire out carpet cleaners, in the past I hired one from what used to be Sketchley Cleaners, Now Johnsons I believe.
Well worth it Tengu. It's a glorified Hover type thing, top it up with carper shampoo and just hover the carpet. Saves loads of hands and knees scrubbing and the one I hired practically suction dried the carpet after the shampooing session.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I hired a "rug doctor" carpet cleaner from my local Morrison's supermarket. Cant remember what ID was requested but I do know it definitely wasn't photo ID cos I don't have any either...

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ah, Ill ask. They do them at my Morrisons too.

If they ask for Photo Id Ill show them my uni card.

(I must be the last person in GB to have a paper licence...)

But first Ill ask J, who looks after premises on site. I expect she has one.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
or ask a company that sells them if they would come to your home to demonstrate... invite them round for a no obligation demmonstration... wait till they Finnish demonstrating Tell them you are realy impressed but will have to think about it & you don't want to make a decision right away as you will need to talk to your other half & then kick up a stink saying it looks worse now than it did before they started...being only half clean... tell them they can't possibly leave like that.... my mother actually did this with a pushy kirby sales man in the 70's threatening to give them bad press with the local papers saying that she was going to sue them for ruining her carpet.... the poor sales man was so desperate for a sale & didn't want to get reported to his boss he gritt his teath & cleaned the rest just to shut her up.... she then told him she didn't need one as her carpet was now clean & as she showed him to the door she told him she would recommend him to all her friends... a true story...

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
or ask a company that sells them if they would come to your home to demonstrate... invite them round for a no obligation demmonstration... wait till they Finnish demonstrating Tell them you are realy impressed but will have to think about it & you don't want to make a decision right away as you will need to talk to your other half & then kick up a stink saying it looks worse now than it did before they started...being only half clean... tell them they can't possibly leave like that.... my mother actually did this with a pushy kirby sales man in the 70's threatening to give them bad press with the local papers saying that she was going to sue them for ruining her carpet.... the poor sales man was so desperate for a sale & didn't want to get reported to his boss he gritt his teath & cleaned the rest just to shut her up.... she then told him she didn't need one as her carpet was now clean & as she showed him to the door she told him she would recommend him to all her friends... a true story...

A very honourable way to behave indeed.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Its a 24ft static van but only the lounge is in need of a clean.

I think it would be cheaper to replace the whole carpet. You are easily in off cut territory and you can get some surprisingly good carpet for a good price. As suggested earlier the landlord might get persuaded to chip in. Just a thought.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I actually bought one of those rug doctor machines when we moved in to this house. It's honestly one of the best buys I think I've made. It was £500ish but it's paid for itself many times over.

I have cream wool carpets and it brings them up like new. Recommended.

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts

Something to bear in mind is you'll have a chipboard floor, if it's an older van it won't be moisture resistant chipboard. Don't be sloshing too much liquid around or you'll end up living on a big sponge.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ah yes, good advice.

As far as I can tell its not rotting out yet (as the older ones on site have been. Management has spent a small fortune in replacing them, -and that is not with brand new, but those a few years old.)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Most such companies that do said demos only clean a small portion of the carpet. That accomplishes two things for them:
1) It gives the prospective customer a side by side look at the before and after.
2) It discourages just such behavior as this.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE