How to carve a spoon?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Hi all, if this has been covered please point me in the right direction otherwise I notice alot of carved spoons on the web site. As a novice I wonder if this would be a good starter project to tackle, but not sure where to start. Is a particular type of wood recommended, do you dry it first? what tools are generally required and used, is the spoon treated before use? sorry if these appear very basic questions. Any advice welcome :)

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Hi Aliwren.

You're right - carving a spoon is a great first project. It gets you working more confidentaly with a knife and gets you used to the different textures and working methods of different types of wood. It can also help with your tree ID and it's essential for getting the last beans out of the tin ;)

There is absolutely tons of stuff on the forum - try typing carving or similar in the search function and then sit back and read for a few hours.

Paganwolf did a good tutorial a while back that will get you started. Remember a sharp knife is a safe knife!

Paganwolf's spoon tutorial

Try starting with Birch or lime rather than hard woods like oak. You will also find a spoon knife really helpful for gouging out the bowl shape. Axminster do a very cheap one www.axminster.co.uk
:)

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Aliwren said:
Hi all, if this has been covered please point me in the right direction otherwise I notice alot of carved spoons on the web site. As a novice I wonder if this would be a good starter project to tackle, but not sure where to start. Is a particular type of wood recommended, do you dry it first? what tools are generally required and used, is the spoon treated before use? sorry if these appear very basic questions. Any advice welcome :)

Just my point of view:

For a "table" spoon, start with a green basswood or aspen sapling, two to 2 1/2 inches around, split and smooth the flat, remove the concave portion of the spoon, and draw an outline of your intended spoon, using a piece of flatware from your kitchen. Remove everything outside the line and everything else that doesn't look like a spoon.

Optional: Sand with 60 grt, 100 grit, 300 grit, and, if you want a very smooth spoon, 5 times with 600 grit, wetting the spoon with alcohol or water inbetween each sanding (alcohol drys much quicker, allowing you to get on with it).

You are working with a very thin piece of wood and it will soon season. Finish (if you like) with cooking oil.

PG

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
pierre girard said:
Just my point of view:

For a "table" spoon, start with a green basswood or aspen sapling, two to 2 1/2 inches around, split and smooth the flat, remove the concave portion of the spoon, and draw an outline of your intended spoon, using a piece of flatware from your kitchen. Remove everything outside the line and everything else that doesn't look like a spoon.

Optional: Sand with 60 grt, 100 grit, 300 grit, and, if you want a very smooth spoon, 5 times with 600 grit, wetting the spoon with alcohol or water inbetween each sanding (alcohol drys much quicker, allowing you to get on with it).

You are working with a very thin piece of wood and it will soon season. Finish (if you like) with cooking oil.

PG

I make mine in the WOODS, with an axe and a knife.. :eek:

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
Birch is a good wood to start with. If you dont have a crook kinfe or spoon gouge you could try making lots of little diagonal cuts and then removing little v shaped slivers of wood. thats how I made my first two spoons.

for your first one make sure you do not make the same mistake as I did and choose a piece of soft pine. The grain is so spaced that on your cuts especially when carving the bowl of it out it will merely crack, making you think you have overly poor technique for a beginner when really its just the piece of wood. learn from my mistakes and get spooning!

woodwalker

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have started carving a spoon i got all the info i needed on here in the forums

Cormac

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2006
S. Ireland
RGRBOX there is a great place in adelboden that does woodcarving not too sure on distance from you but well worth a visit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE