How to best finish a knife handle and leather sheath?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aleks

Feb 17, 2010
Sweden
Hi guys!
Need a bit of advice here..
I´m a tad lost on how to actually finish off the sheath and knife i made the other day...
Lets start with the handle...i want a waterproof and shiny look, so i´ve been thinking about using beeswax on the handle. It has already got 4 coats of danish oil and been buffed, but i can´t get that mirror finish i want, any advice?

The sheath then, the leather has been soaked, shaped and dried in the oven at 50 degrees celcius for about 1,5h, nothing else.
I´ve found something called Renaissance wax, will that work or is beeswax an alternative? won´t that deform the sheath when heated up?

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
For the handle get some of the very cheap clear runny super glue smear it on the handle using a latex glove then work up through the grits should give finish like glass
Someone will be along shortly to advise on the sheath

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
You can just hand sand the handle up to 1000 grit then buff again with a bit of compound, you should get a glass like finish from that. If you want a shiney sheath you can use neutral shoe polish...hope this helps!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Cheap runny CA glue is great for filling cracks and similar, some people use it on razor scales for shiny finishes. It works great but is messy work. Hand sanding a knife through the grits then buffing is quicker and easier in my opinion. If you post knife related stuff in the Edged Tool section you'll get a lot more knifey loving traffic and help!

Aleks

Feb 17, 2010
Sweden
Ok! great to know!
I´ll immediately do so. I posted the thread here because i thought this was the right section :D

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
I like the beeswax and linseed oil finishes. But I've never got a mirror finnish and for me that is not my goal. A mirror finnish would look unnatural and kinda plastic.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Show us what your knife looks like so far so can offer specific help.

I soak my handle in Danish oil and buff while drying.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Its too late for the superglue route now as you waxed the wood but have seen some nice knives finished like that.
I am not sure how to get that to have the kind shine you are after with that course grain.

Aleks

Feb 17, 2010
Sweden
Ok, so maybe i´ll just have to settle on the look it has now...
Just wondering, would beeswax or any other wax product like Reinassance wax improve the look or spoil it?

Aleks

Feb 17, 2010
Sweden
mrcainey - He´s a swede, i´m a swede, i know that swedish names are hard to spell sometimes ;) especially after a couple of malts down the throat ;) unfortunately it´s not avaliable anymore, but i think i can find it at the local library!

branco - well...both :D
Ok, i´ll have to check that out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE