How they mount up

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I was sorting out some bits and pieces yesterday and, while the sun was out, decided to take a few pictures of some of my tools and their "jackets"

These are some of my knives, amazingly, to me at least,they all get used!
P8110001.jpg

then naked:The photo is a bit bizarre, it makes the clipper look huge while the BG Bushcrafter looks tiny:bluThinki
P8110007.jpg

From left to right;
My Bernie Garland Bushcrafter,( now my everyday user) complete with left and right hand sheaths:rolleyes:
Then dropping down a bit; my trusty old chip carving knife, about 6 years old now,used for all my mini totems, small carving and occasional leather work, the sheath is made from birch bark.
A close up of the bark sheath:
P8110003.jpg

Then up again; My first home made knife, made from a putty hacking knife, found in my father in laws greenhouse! it's ugly and rough but makes a really good general blade, as well as a whittler.
Then a home made, ash handled whittler/carver, again regularly employed for detail as well as general work, the sheath was knocked together very rapidly, with little design thinking. It was just something to keep the blade safe but I now rather like it, so haven't bothered making another:)
And finally for this little lot; a recently acquired Frost's Clipper, in stainless, I bought this for general use when canoeing/camping, the sheath is the "birdwing" one I had up for sale but no one wanted:cool:

Oh and the possibles pouch for firelighting, sharpening, small first aid kit and bits of this and bits of that:D
It's made from Colombo leather, and goes everywhere when I'm "out & about"

best wishes
R.B.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Excellent Steve. You know what really impresses me about Steve's work is the simplicity of the tools he uses to get some brilliant designs on his leather. Just nails, pointy sticks, and stuff he finds lying around. He wanted some small circles - he used a propelling pencil with the lead retracted. Larger circle, used .22 empty bullet case. Small x shape - small philips screwdriver.

Eric

rancid badger

Excellent Steve. You know what really impresses me about Steve's work is the simplicity of the tools he uses to get some brilliant designs on his leather. Just nails, pointy sticks, and stuff he finds lying around. He wanted some small circles - he used a propelling pencil with the lead retracted. Larger circle, used .22 empty bullet case. Small x shape - small philips screwdriver.

Eric

Thanks Eric, I bought a few proper tools but i find I usually fall to the makey do ones, they are in fact,often more comfortable to use.

Cheers to Bernie too;)

and for Barn Owl; yes the possibles pouch or "man bag" is indeed home made by yours truly;) It was the first of a small handful I made in 2007, it was made with colombo, rather than cowhide and its a bit thinner than the ones I later sold but I actually use it all the time now.

It was the prototype for this one:
P2290006copyresized.jpg

made from 4mm cowhide and solid as rock! it was sold to a member a while back now.
anyway must dash:rolleyes:

Thanks again fella's
best wishes
Steve.

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
Wow, your leather toolong is immaculate. Do you use a graphite pencil to lay down the design first or just freehand it? I've tooled leather before, but have been wary to attempt it on customers projects.

Absolutely beautiful work.

rancid badger

Wow, your leather toolong is immaculate. Do you use a graphite pencil to lay down the design first or just freehand it? I've tooled leather before, but have been wary to attempt it on customers projects.

Absolutely beautiful work.

Thanks Edi

No, just about everything I do is freehand and in most cases, made up as I go along:eek:
It backfires sometimes and then I end up with something else sitting in a box, gathering dust:rolleyes:
The sheath on my homemade utility knife was literally just "drawn on" with a stitch groover, while the one with the all over wiggly line was a full on doodle, I just set to and waited to see what came out.
thanks again
R.B.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
once again sir I doth my cap to you on your stunning leather work, love the Bernie Garland knife by the way its a cracker.

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
Excellent, will give it a shot and see what happens. Going to try to come up with a design on the computer first before going all out though!

Thanks for the tips.

rancid badger

I love your work :You_Rock_

I Like that birch bark sheath what did you finish it with?

Thanks Brancho, it's not really finished with anything as such:bluThinki it's had a light brush with the "putting on" brush from my shoe polishing kit-can't think why now:confused:
It gave it an interesting sheen anyway, the thing is; I love to experiment with this sort of thing, sometimes it turns out ok sometimes not so good, as long as the ok's out weigh the n,s,g,'s rancid's a happy badger:D
cheers
R.B.

rancid badger

Excellent, will give it a shot and see what happens. Going to try to come up with a design on the computer first before going all out though!

Thanks for the tips.
Your welcome.
I'd just have a bit of a doodle on a sketch pad with a pencil first, then you could lightly trace the design on to your leather.
the thing with "doodling" with a stitch groover, is that sometimes it goes it's own way! if you have a set design to follow and it goes wrong, it might not be so easy to blend in a mistake:D

Whatever you go with, very good luck and don't forget to let us see the results;)
cheers
R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE