how often?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
hi all
i work 5 to 6 days a week and have a girlfriend with four kids,to be honest i cant remember the last time i went shooting or even a night out.something is going to give as at 46 years old its getting bit much.
i digress,how often do you get out to enjoy and relax in the great wide open?

realearner

Forager
Sep 26, 2011
kent
Well since then end of October till now only had three days off, love the dosh but getting a bit feed up and really can't wait to get out.
Would like to get out at least once a week if only to walk the woods.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
for the past 18 months iv had ongoing operations and been mostly housebound. so all i have is time, but spend alot of time bedbound so i rarely get out drives ye crazy. but when im fit enough i get out everyday even if for short walks and adventures, tis amazing how half an hour outdoors can have such a profound effect on stress

cant imagine how hard it must be tae fit the time in between a busy life besides either small changes in fitting outdoors into your work life or making radical changes entirely

at the moment i get about 5 mins a week outside in which i just have a laugh with my chickens and enjoy the fresh air

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
i earn good dosh to.thinking of buying a yurt and having part time job to get me by.i'm even considering serving notice on my mobile phone next time round.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
dreadhead,know how you feel.couple of years ago i had a major dvt with kept me housebound,drove me nuts.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Your problem is you have a family.

Im on my own, and I really ought to get out more....Hillwalking.

Its just the thing Im told I need for the Uni courses Im applying for. Geology and archaeology.

But I have homework. Calcalus, naming hydrocarbons and drawing a cartoon based on Aristophanes `Peace`

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Up untill April 2010 i worked six days a week and never got the chance to go out, once a month if i was lucky.
I quit my job, which was very good money, and went back to college at the age of 38 to train to become a fully qualified tree surgeon.
I just wanted to work outdoors, and rock climbing being my hobby, thought it made sense!
Now i work when i want and can take a day off when i feel like it and the weathers good, usually a mid week day.
I have a great 10 year marriage, but have no kids, so we bought a dog last year, which needs a walk every day!.:thinkerg:
I feel very lucky that my wife does not mind whenever i want to go out or away, plus i take the dog out through the woods and over the downs every day for about an hour!
My wife is into the great outdoors as well, so the weekends are always walk orientated!
I am a lucky man!!!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I decided a couple of years ago to get out at least once a month for two or three nights, so far I've been lucky and managed to stick to it. It's usually Scotland with the canoe or up in the hills, failing that the Lakes.

It was something Uncle Ray said on one of his Bushcraft programmes, 4 Seasons I think, he mentioned about making the effort to get out otherwise life just passes you by and you don't get to enjoy it as much as you should.

Having a great wife really helps, she's quite often busy marking school work so it's kind of worked out well. Try and make a promise to get out and see how you get on, even if you don't always make it you'll be doing better than before.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I no its easier said than done but you have to be a little bit selfish and make time even if its just 2 hours on a saturday morning or whenever suits otherwise it will start to realy get to you. You only live one and lifes too short to not find an hour to yourself. I work full time running an electrical company which can take alot of my time up even more if i was to alow it. But i also have a workshop were a do one of the things i love making, carving,leather etc i struggle to find time sometimes but i always make sure i get up there a few times a week. Sometimes i even say sod it and have all week there and always feel alot better for it. I %100 believe there is more to life than money.
I dare say like most you put everyone else before you but there has to be a bit of you time. Cheers ash

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I manage to get out for a walk every night for about an hour, only to a local country park or nature reserve but its a nice way to unwind after work. Then get a few hours on saturdays, I only usually manage about 10 nights out a year though.

greenwood

Forager
Jan 2, 2012
Wild Wiltshire
Mate it can be really hard to get time with your self especially with kids/family, they have to come first, but in saying that no good if you blow a fuse, plan it, take a Friday off and go for week end or over nighter, sounds like you really need a night off buddy to recharge the batteries

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
was hoping to camp out this weekend,might still do.got new pack that needs a trial.be great to find a regular camping buddy

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Most days for a dog walk keeps me sane but I absolutely have to get out for a day out a week at least, usually its a day on the range loosing arrows at the 3D's in a delightful setting does me but as long as it is that, chucking some lures or flies at some fish, a good walk or whatever I don't do too stir crazy but on the rare occurrence that I have a 6+ day working week then I get grumpy if I don't play out! I have been known to postpone work because I need some outside time.....

I am lucky I too have an awesome wife who happens to work shifts so I am allowed to play out whenever I like pretty much and when she is not working she shares my passion for the outdoors, and working self employed in the UK building industry I do get more time than most....... bank balance hates it but I can't say I don't enjoy my extra playtime!

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Out walking the dog at least once a day.

Where we go depends on the time i have, but 99% of the time it's local and within 1 hours of driving from home.
Which is not as bad as it sounds as there are many many great wilderness areas within 1 hours drive of Athens.

This time of year pretty much every walk ends in the dark though, so my torches, batteries and chargers are getting a work out.

Also try to get a decent hike at least once a month outside on Athens as well.

All in the GPS gives just under 80 miles as my monthly average for hiking.

bigegg

Jan 24, 2012
leeds
last ten years or so has been one weekend a year, plus maybe a couple of hours per month.
looking forward to spending more time out in the nex t6 months tho - already signed up for three peaks challenge, and looking for a week's walk somewhere really wild.

to the OP: have a word with the GF, it's obvious that you're getting cage-bound. take a couple of days off - even if it's just jump on a coach, camp, coach, home.

I always start to feel like that this time of year - SWMBO and I always call it "mountains!" time. wears off after a while :(

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
I usualy camp once every couple of months on bushcraft camps, or in summer even if in the garden with the kids more often.i have a 6 year old boy who is realy into the outdoors so we usualy go out in the woods with a rucksack most weekends and practice our bushcraft skills there together, and we have just got a canoe so looking forward to that this summer
Even go out everynight with the dog, through the woods or even if its round the block.

I work for myself and work long hours, but i always make time for myself and my hobbies otherwise it just ends up being groundhog day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE