How NOT to change a battery/cell in your watch!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi all

Here's a mil style watch that I bought a few years ago second hand but in 'as new' condition (unworn), I paid around £25 for it and have already changed the cell at least once with nothing untowards or memorable going wrong..

I was doing a cell change tonight when it went catastrophically wrong!!!!!;)

The caseback is a pop off type that you lever off with a blade and press back on, this time it was very tight to remove and so I knew it was going to be hard to press back on...

The watch..
als07.jpg

When I had replaced the battery, I put the watch in the press but the nylon die split open so I replaced it with the next size down, put the watch back in and squeezed the handles, There was an almighty BANG!!!
The die had bust in to three pieces and forced the spigot straight into the mineral glass crystal!!!
Chickensh1twatch2.jpg

The Spigot that did the deed!!
Chickensh1twatch3.jpg

The watch was intact before I lost my temper and tried to put it in to orbit :eek::D
Chickensh1twatch1.jpg

I'm just happy that it wasn't one of my 'better' watches...

It's now residing in the bin along with the press!!

Somehow I don't think i'll buy cheapo tools again :(

John :)

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
ooops
Fair play for sharing; thats the kind of stuff I do; so I understand the watch being sent into orbit
Never mind though you now have a legit reason to replace it

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
ooops
Fair play for sharing; thats the kind of stuff I do; so I understand the watch being sent into orbit
Never mind though you now have a legit reason to replace it

No need to replace it Shane, i'll just get another one out of the collection ;)

Afewwatches.jpg

I've actually got around 2,000 watches (about half of them in the pic!) but I mostly only wear this cheapo (£30 second hand) divers watch!!
A-1a.jpg

Cheers, John :)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
haha! wow, that is alot of watches! do you have a large collection of pocket watches? ;)

I thought your gun collection was big.. but that is impressive, where do you store them all?

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
haha! wow, that is alot of watches! do you have a large collection of pocket watches? ;)

I thought your gun collection was big.. but that is impressive, where do you store them all?

Hi Samon

No, I only have a few pocket watches though I may have to start buying them more as my eyes are getting bad!!

Some are in a safe and others are hidden all over the house!!!

I was once given a beautiful automatic Citizen which need a service, I could remember putting it 'somewhere safe' but a few years later when I decided to take it in for a service, I couldn't remember where the safe place was :eek::eek:

It still hasn't turned up and that was about fifteen years ago!!!

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Hi all

Here's a mil style watch that I bought a few years ago second hand but in 'as new' condition (unworn), I paid around £25 for it and have already changed the cell at least once with nothing untowards or memorable going wrong..

I was doing a cell change tonight when it went catastrophically wrong!!!!!;)

The caseback is a pop off type that you lever off with a blade and press back on, this time it was very tight to remove and so I knew it was going to be hard to press back on...

The watch..
als07.jpg

When I had replaced the battery, I put the watch in the press but the nylon die split open so I replaced it with the next size down, put the watch back in and squeezed the handles, There was an almighty BANG!!!
The die had bust in to three pieces and forced the spigot straight into the mineral glass crystal!!!
Chickensh1twatch2.jpg

The Spigot that did the deed!!
Chickensh1twatch3.jpg

The watch was intact before I lost my temper and tried to put it in to orbit :eek::D
Chickensh1twatch1.jpg

I'm just happy that it wasn't one of my 'better' watches...

It's now residing in the bin along with the press!!

Somehow I don't think i'll buy cheapo tools again :(

Do you work at a watch repair stall in Castleford market? :lmao:

touched by nature

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE