How much wool to kill the stench?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Conventional wisdom has it that wool underwear can be worn for longer than synthetic stuff without cooking up a powerful stink. OK, but how much wool content is needed to do the trick? Will a pair of £18 M&S longjohns be as wiff-less as a pair of Ulfrottes/Woolpower etc. with wool content about 70% plus. Anyone with experience who can advise, please?:confused:

Cheers,

Tedw (dreaming of the 2012 BCUK Arctic exped?)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have a pair of the M&S longjohns I think you mean ( the ones with around 30% wool combined with viscose and nylon). I find they are pretty good at suppressing whiffs (good for a couple of days wearing) but not as good as those of a higher wool content.

I have a half wool half cotton pair which are better and an 80 per cent wool pair which performs better still. Generally I find once you get to 70 or 80 per cent wool content the fabric's anti stink properties are as good as all-wool garments.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I just got hold of a top and bottom set of 100% Marino wool ones and as yet no smell at all.
I was not aware of the wool properties of curing smells until reading the info.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They all stink after a while, the 50/50 mix I have are pretty good, no good for the Arctic I presume but great for the UK.

Last edited:

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Thanks all, obviously worth going for the higher wool content is the way to go.

Treadlightly, on another wool-related tack, IIRC you were trying to buy some of the elusive Swedish Army wool trousers about this time last year. How did it go - worth the trouble?

Cheers, Ted W

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE