How much water?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Douglas said:
The stream I was thinking of only potentially had "bouquetins" higher up, actually 400m higher (atlitude, not distance) and were on the other side of the mountain. Plus the contamination wouldn't go directly in the water, because it had it's source much lower down than they were. But I didn't drink it because I still had some left.

Would that have been safe?

P.S: For filling up it had lots of mini waterfalls so that wouldn't have been a problem.

Doug, do you live somewhere in Savoie?

In England, our scout leaer always warned about taking water from moorland streams, because of the danger that sheep carcases were layng in them? And having seen them in the moors around North Derbyshire and South Yorkshire, I'm a believer. Not a trace. Of doubt in my mind. Ooh!

As for animals mouths being dirty, I believe that primates have dirtier mouths than dogs and cats....

But then, just being dirty doesn't stop something ele from dirtying you.

Keith.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Yes, primates do have dirtier mouths than dogs & cats, (it's the same, if you get bitten by a primate, it's a good idea to take the Tetanus injection) but you should look at it in the way that we do not stick our mouth in the water and drink like a deer. We usually take it from the stream and then store it in a canteen/platypus etc. :wink: By doing it this way, we do not contaminate it.
I believe all of us in here, takes care of nature and not throwing garbage and other dirty things in the streams that we pass by. :wink: :)

Douglas

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2004
Switzerland
Keith_Beef said:
Doug, do you live somewhere in Savoie?
Just over the border, in the pleine du Rhône. Well, if the Portes du Soleil is in Savoie that is...I don't know french geography very well.

There could have been a carcass higher up, as we found a horn in one of the streams :shock: I'll be carrying some sort of purrifier from now on anyway.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Douglas said:
I don't know french geography very well.

You're just like the natives, then ;)

I read in a magazine this morning that 2/3 of all water in France is polluted, due to run-off from agricultural land carrying pesticides, insecticides and fertilizers into the rivers and streams. I don't think there's a way of neutralizing these substances when you're out in the field. All your purifying tablets and nanofilters are doing is killing or taking out the microbes and parasites.

Getting back to the original topic, I've been wondering a bit about water. I don't drink a lot of the stuff (having seen what fish do in it), even when out walking. But I eat a lot of food wth a high water content, like apples and tomatoes.

Maybe I could get away with just carrying enough water for cooking, and about a half litre per day for drinking. With carefully chosen food, that doesn't waste water during cooking (i.e., things that don't need to boil for a long time), maybe even that half litre per day could do both cooking and rehydration.

Keith.

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Interesting point Keith, but I'm a little sceptical - purely because of the quantity of apples and tomatoes you'd need to eat

Say you needed 2 litres of water (but I'm happier drinking 4 litres per day). Given that tomatoes are 93% water, and you drink your 1/2 litre of water, you'd need to eat over 1.5 Kg of tomatoes :yikes:

I like tomatoes too, but not that much...

gurushaun

Forager
Sep 12, 2003
Modbury, Devon/Cannock Staffs
Usually 1 58Patt bottle and a 2L bottle of bottled water ( I buy in bulk I get through about 4L a day) so there is always some by the door as I go out. Now what we need is a drinking hose kit to fit standard 2L PET plastic bottles, they are everywhere :roll: .

Cheers

Shaun

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
gurushaun said:
Now what we need is a drinking hose kit to fit standard 2L PET plastic bottles, they are everywhere :roll: .

Cheers

Shaun
The screw thread on the platypus hose fits some ... but nowhere near all ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE