How much volume in your pot?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Just kinda curious as I was looking at the various different cooking pots on the market, and the bewildering selection of different sizes. What size pot do you use for cooking for 1? What about for 2? Do you prefer a tall narrow pot, or a wider flatter pot?

J

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I mostly cook for and by myself. All my pots and pans are on the large side, as for about the same mess to clean up, I'll cook for six and freeze five servings.
Wrecked a pot, replaced it with a pair of Remy Olivier s/s 3.0l pots with two handles (21 x 12cm deep inside). Drilled a relief hole in each lid, they are so well made that I got tired
of vapor-lock sticking the lids down. Thick bases and heavy but they'd be OK for a camp-out over a clean fire.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Depends on what I'm cooking and on what. Mainly low and wide. Greater surface area in contact with the flame and if using a stove is usually more stable with a lower centre of gravity.
These days I'm generally a cast iron on an open fire type but if going lighter a low/wide anodized aluminium pot about 1.8l suits me as it'll do something like soup or bulky stuff like pasta. I find the anodized aluminum acts a bit like cast and is pretty non-stick and durable.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have been happy using a 10cm zebra for quick easy things for 1 like pasta or rice. If I want to cook more I move up to the Tatonka 1.0 ltr. For bigger meals I will use the Tatonka 1.6ltr which is enough for two people.

The 1.0 fits nice inside the 1.6 so I can cook two things at once.
I also prefer a wider shallow pot.
Over this weekend I have used nothing but a Crusader mess tin and lid. Worked well but has limitations.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I get everything in a MSR Titan Kettle which is 0.85 litres when i'm by myself. I also often take a Primus LiTech frying pan.

If i'm out with my partner or am planning something really nice I'll take a MSR set of two non-stick aluminium pots with a pot lifter, they don't make them any more but I think it's around 1.2 and 1.5L.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
It does depend on your flame size, something like a pocket rocket or primus spider a narrower pot of 15 cm does make most use of the flame. If you use a wide flame stove like a wisperlite or a trangia meths burner (alcohol is usually a biggerflame) around a 20 cm pot makes best use of the flame. This is of course discounting a heat exchange pot, what you do not want is flames licking up the side of the pot. You of course know that so I wonder why you ask? The depth of the pot is usually variable on how many people, so I'd go for 800ml each plus 200 air space. I like skillets, and so do professional chefs as they are versatile, easy to stir and quick to heat, but you can't always take a 40cm paella pan with you.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
myti mug from alpkit does most things for me or the old tatonka pot kettle at 1 litre.

depends what im doing and how i feel, if im just walking in the woods for a brew then the hobo stove, with or without meths....

i do want to get the myti pot at 900ml though, would make a good combo with the mug and pot cosy should nest well together..

regards

chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE