How much Ice on Loch Lomond?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't think Lomond ever freezes mate, it's too bloody big.

Some of the alcoves and bays might have some ice but I reckon you'll be able to break through it easily enough.

When you heading up there ?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I don't think Lomond ever freezes mate, it's too bloody big.

Some of the alcoves and bays might have some ice but I reckon you'll be able to break through it easily enough.

When you heading up there ?

I'm hoping sometime this week or poss after xmas, I'm just waiting for my snow chains to turn up.
I've been struggling on my river with ice-I break it to get in and by the time I get back it's solid. My boat looks like ive been paddling down cheddar gorge!

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
They nearly held it last winter but as you said H&S steped in and spoiled the fun!

Craig...............

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, if things continue as they are, we might get one this year... It was very close last year, and the freeze started later. And although it wasn't quite a proper "Grand Match", the H & S concerns didn't stop everybody. :)

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Lomond shores bay has frozen over, but main loch still looks good, as Rich says its really only the small bays that freeze over, but still looking good for taking your canoe out mate.

Colin

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Rich loch lomand was frozen over last year bud from just off lomand shores to inchmurrin all the way across!!!!!

Jason

Ps it has been completely frozen over in the MId fifties early sixties

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Rich loch lomand was frozen over last year bud from just off lomand shores to inchmurrin all the way across!!!!!

Jason

Ps it has been completely frozen over in the MId fifties early sixties

Wow, where's Lomond shores ? Is it along the western side by the golf course ?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Its the south end at balloch Rich .You can see pics if you google it .

Jason

Blimey, that's a big chunk to be frozen over. I tend to fly past that bit on the way up to Aldochlay and I must have missed it, must remember to pull over next time I'm up.

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Some one drove a land rover from the south end of the loch to inchmurrin when it froze over in the sixties a freind has pics i will see if i can get copies

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thanks for all the info people.

Driving to the islands sounds like fun. If my van sinks I can climb out the window and jump into the 'yak. (o/j)

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
What do you paddle Teepee? We'll keep an eye open for you.

Look out for a white canoe, a green one and a wee wooden affair. We'll probably have a 'chute up at camp and the canoes might be rigged for sailing.
Although we're going out on friday no-one's really mentioned coming back so may still be knocking about early in the week. :)
No plans as such so couldn't tell you where, somewhere south facing most likely to catch whatever sun there may be.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What do you paddle Teepee? We'll keep an eye open for you.

Look out for a white canoe, a green one and a wee wooden affair. We'll probably have a 'chute up at camp and the canoes might be rigged for sailing.
Although we're going out on friday no-one's really mentioned coming back so may still be knocking about early in the week. :)
No plans as such so couldn't tell you where, somewhere south facing most likely to catch whatever sun there may be.

Oh to be single again

Have a good one lads

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE