How much 'headroom' is needed for a suspended Vapalux /Tilley lamp?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've always used my Vapalux on a table top in the garden, but was thinking about hanging it from a hook in the roof of my wooden summerhouse (once it is lit, obviously :D)...

...the handle is fairly long, and clearly designed to be hung from a hook...

...but I was wondering about the rising heat from the lamp - i.e. is it likely to scorch /burn the wooden roof...

...I can try it and monitor the wood above the lamp, but wondered if anyone else does this, or has tried this, and can say if it is a definite no-no.

Thanks

Geoff

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You will find that if you hang it using only the "dink" in the handle, it WILL scorch and burn the timber above it-guaranteed! These lamps chuck out 1400 watts of heat:campfire:

I use a 2 foot length of roller shutter door chain, with a small shackle to attach it to the lamp handle.The chain has fairly small links but is more than strong enough.
I then just hook the other end of the chain onto a nail or hook.

This arrangement allows you to alter the height easily, by simply hooking on further up the chain but is also pretty secure.

If you check out the troop shelters on firing ranges, you often find scorched roof timbers, where lamps have been hung by their handles:)

Cheers

R.B.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
The woodwork above your lantern will certainly get hot but not necessarily so hot that it will scorch. I've run Tilleys hung on 's'-hooks on tent ridge poles for extended periods and never experienced scorched canvas or poling.

Indoors.jpg

Give it a go and keep an eye on it - you can always extend the suspension if needs be.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
If you hang it by its handle for any length of time, make sure you wear a glove when you try to pick it up by the handle! (Speaking from singed experience!)

Z

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Thanks, folks. Confirms what I'd suspected from the few occasions when I've carried the lamp by the handle - it does get pretty hot above the hood.

Geoff

rancid badger

The woodwork above your lantern will certainly get hot but not necessarily so hot that it will scorch. I've run Tilleys hung on 's'-hooks on tent ridge poles for extended periods and never experienced scorched canvas or poling.

Indoors.jpg

Give it a go and keep an eye on it - you can always extend the suspension if needs be.

Absolutely no offence meant here; but I really wouldn't try the above, with a Vapalux. ( unless the canvas is wet or very very cold.)

The point about using a glove or piece of cloth is very valid.
A further indicator,is that the chains I use, also become too hot to handle except for the last 9 inches or so!

best wishes

R.B.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have hooks screwed into the beams in my downstairs rooms to hang Vapalux off in the event of power failure or just because I want to. Never had a problem with scorch the wood or ceiling paint..

I use one in my Juno 800 and due to it being nylon I suspend by about 9", I suspend it by paracord and thats never melted so don't worry too much about canvas.

Bilmo-p5 Ian has been doing this canvas camping for a loooong time and I trust his judgement re using in a canvas tent. They give out about a kilowatt of power but its dispersed from the lanterns hood.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Perhaps it's the newer design military Vapalux' that chuck out excessive heat, I don't have one so I can't comment, but this 1943-vintage Vapalux doesn't cause any problems and is still in regular use,

Vapalux1.jpg

XlightHeat.jpg

rancid badger

Hmm,I wonder if the later lanterns do chuck out more heat:confused:

I stand by what I say however, I've witnessed the wood actually charring and smoking myself and that's good enough for me:)

I suppose it's a case of "suck it and see" what happens next;)

cheers

R.B.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hmm,I wonder if the later lanterns do chuck out more heat:confused:

I stand by what I say however, I've witnessed the wood actually charring and smoking myself and that's good enough for me:)

I suppose it's a case of "suck it and see" what happens next;)

cheers

R.B.

Doubtfull they throw out anymore heat as the basic parts have not changed in many a year nor has the fuel.

Ian I'm taking a couple on 1954's away camping in the morrow :) Young Nigel is bringing a young one, 1975 (ish) ,,, bloody upstart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE