How much for a dog!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I have a lurcher rescue from Flushdyke kennels in Ossett.
He is about 2 years old and was a stray. He cost us £80, which is the cost of weeks kennelling. I think they vaccinate dogs now before they go so that adds a bit more to the cost.
I'll be honest he is a lot of hard work at the moment as he will steal food at every opportunity, is always rooting through the bins and will tear bin bags open on the off chance there is some food in there. He keeps stealing the wives knitting needles and eating them. He has a cage so that he has his own space, but because of the behaviour above we have to put him in there when ever we go upstairs or sit down to eat and then he cries.
I said in the beginning that he would need a year to settle in properly and I do have to remind myself that we've only had him 3 months and he has come a long way.
Cost wise, it cost about £300 to get the cage, lead, collar, 2 beds one for the cage, one for the lounge, treats, first 15kg of food, blankets and of course the coats that this breed need.
Vera for Pets were doing lifetime vaccinations for £100, just after we'd had his, but we got a voucher for his bits doing. But when I unclip his lead and he races off it's all worth it 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
My lurcher will steal food if she thinks no one is looking but if you offer her the same food from your hand she won't take it, just looks guilty and turns her head away :)

seg1959

Forager
Feb 8, 2010
Surrey, UK
The OP will want an animal that doesnt make much noise, wont fret if left alone 5 mins, doesnt live down the poodle parlour,(or vets) has a vague amount of personality, and is not prone to its hind legs falling off, yes?

This rules out a lot of the most popular breeds...

Tengu (Who was brought up in a doggy family, and now lives a happy, dog free life.)

...which is exactly why I suggested that it might be worth looking for a 'foreign' mongrel. For many opeople this is outside of their comfort zone, but it's worth a look.

Ours is grateful for what she gets, if need be she can happily stay at home alone for 5-6 hrs, with access to the garden, provided she had a long walk in the morning.
Clearly your mileage might vary, as every dog is different.

The only thing with rescue dogs is that it *does take time for them to trust you and bond with you - you need to be patient.

seg

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I love my German Shorthaired Pointers as a breed but would not recommend them to most people as they are hard work (albeit very rewarding and wonderful gentle loving dogs) getting a dog like this I would only have a pup to mould as I want. However, i've had a couple of retired greyhounds as well and to me they are the dog most people should have, they need little exercise (comparatively) short hair, loving, pack up small (usually on the sofa) and soft with everyone, some aren't good with cats but a lot of greyhound rescue centres will asess the dogs and regime them accordingly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE