How much (£) do I need to set aside for a tarp and hammock??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Hello all,

Having been a tent user for years I've decided to move away from ground welling status to hammocks and tarps. With SO much information and different views I have to say I'm a little bewildered as to how much I need to spend?

Basically Im after:
1) A tarp- to be used above a hammock in scotland this upcomming "summer"- I used a tent last summer, which was good as it rained (a lot) the whole time. Do I spend more on this than anything else? I'm on a budget so any ideas? anything out there for £20-30?

2) Hammock- theres plenty of cheap options, is it a case of just going for one of these or do you get what you pay for? if so any good models? Once again cost is an issue, I was thinking around £20- will be used for about a week.

NB. I Have a Deuter 3 seasons bag which should suffice (possibly too hot?) but I'm also considering a midge net to go over the top and a bivvy bag if the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Thanks for any info! It will be much appreciated!

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Thanks chaps, some very good ideas here. Are any of the tarps on Amazon anygood? I ask since I've had some bad experiences with ebay in the past.

Any things to look out for on tarps and hammocks?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thanks chaps, some very good ideas here. Are any of the tarps on Amazon anygood? I ask since I've had some bad experiences with ebay in the past.

Any things to look out for on tarps and hammocks?

A few basic things really;

Look for obvious rips and how strongly stitched they are.

The hammock wants to be at least 1.5m wide unless your small.

The tarp needs to be longer than the hammock, for ease of use at least 2ft longer.

Doors on tarps are a massive boon in windy wet weather.

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
Wherever I choose to live.
Try the Byer Moskito Hammock, The Byer Microrope, and the TW tarp. Works well for me, very light without spending alot of money for a DD or Warbonnet. It weighs .9KG, or 2.06lbs. Cost me 58 quid.

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I would say DD hammocks, Nice range of Tarps and Hammocks, very good customer service,

I have both a Frontline and a Travel Hammock, also have a 3x3 and an XL, find that the 3x3 is not big enough to cove the hammock and as Teepee has said get a Tarp a couple of feet longer the the Hammock, my self I like the Coyote colour seems to blend in better then the green.

The mosquito screen on both these hammocks is a bonus and adds comfort when there's bugs about

I find the XL is ok but think the 4x4 would suit me better as it would give more hight when pitched, with the side at ground level and the ends folded in.

I would also go for woopie slings as well.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
A DD camping hammock is where I started (£25) its great as you can unzip it and sleep inside the 2 layers like a cocoon. Ukhammocks.co.uk do a woodsman light hammock for around £35.

As for tarps I find you cant go wrong with a dd 3 x 3 tarp for £35. So for around £60 you can get a decent set up.

I cant comment on TW hammocks as I have no experience with them. I have used DD hammocks and UK hammocks to buy from and both offer superb customer service and uk hammocks has a sale on at the moment - just ordered myself a woodsman x hammock with 20% discount.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE