how long before bottled water becomes undrinkable?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
"How long does bottled water last?
The FDA considers bottled water to have an indefinite shelf life if it’s produced in accordance with regulations and remains unopened. Therefore, expiration dates on bottles are voluntary, and may reflect concerns for taste and odor rather than safety. Bottled water should be stored in a cool location away from direct sunlight."

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/water/com/fs/bottledwater.html

H

He' s left the building

For normal tap water i read you add a little bleach, just standard cheap stuff.

I'd go for that if you're using tap-water, make sure the bleach is unscented or preferably use Milton fluid. A few drops is all thats required.

Silver tablets are also recommended for long term storage (Katadyn make them).

Containers must be opaque (or kept underground) and it's a good idea to keep as cool as possible, the cooler the better.

Pre-bottled water, just keep in the dark and as cool as possible.

H

He' s left the building

I used to go for long walks with globetrotter, and he strted burying tins of food to eat at a later date, most of it was fine after a year of buriedness,but we did open a tin of "Fizzy"baked beans!:yuck:

Food is usually OK, water may have got through the can seams on those beans?

Pack tins in sealed plastic bags to prevent water damage and everything else in cans, rodents will find any food stash, possibly big rodents if you're outside the UK!!

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Thanks for the replys guys.

And thanks for the info and link rik_uk3, that is just what I was after.
I guess I'll buy the bottles already filled, as that seems the best way.
Now I just need a sure fire way of being able to find them again!!

Oh, and I want to know so I'm ready for the zombie invasion.......

LOL hehe....

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
......Now I just need a sure fire way of being able to find them again!!......

Dowsing!
happy0009.gif

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I suggest a large "house for sale" type sign with "water buried here"! :lmao:

perhaps a measured distance between trees or rocks known to you.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thing is, you need a LOT of water, would a good filter system not do the job? Here in wales there is water everywhere, ignoring the stream at the back of my place I could find a water source easy enough and get by with a milbank bag and boiling.

So the question begs, why bury the stuff? At two litres a day per person thats still a lot of bottles to bury even for a week's supply.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
RAPPLEBY2000

Yep, sounds good.

rik_uk3 Thing is, you need a LOT of water, would a good filter system not do the job?

I agree, but there is only really 1 big river around here with farmland, industry & sewage plants along it, making me worry that filer and boiling/chemical wouldn't remove the heavy chemicals.
There are some VERY stagnant pools around, but I don't like the idea of living off of those for a period of time either.
I can't carry all that water, and would prefer to stay away from civilisation.
Mabey there's another way I haven't considered?

P.S I rember there is lots copper / heavy metals in the streams around Wales, so please be carefull, though I'd rather drink the water from around your way than what's around here.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Did you say why you wanted to stash it taws6, just curious ??

Is it to save you from carrying it when you're heading out for the night somewhere ?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
RAPPLEBY2000

Yep, sounds good.

rik_uk3 Thing is, you need a LOT of water, would a good filter system not do the job?

I agree, but there is only really 1 big river around here with farmland, industry & sewage plants along it, making me worry that filer and boiling/chemical wouldn't remove the heavy chemicals.
There are some VERY stagnant pools around, but I don't like the idea of living off of those for a period of time either.
I can't carry all that water, and would prefer to stay away from civilisation.
Mabey there's another way I haven't considered?

P.S I rember there is lots copper / heavy metals in the streams around Wales, so please be carefull, though I'd rather drink the water from around your way than what's around here.

I've had the stream out back tested a few times and its good to drink:) When I was younger and camped a lot up in Snowdonia we never thought about boiling water, just took it from a lake or stream and drank it, cooked with it, happy days and great water.

pheasant plucker

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2007
Birmingham, England
I've got family in Spain and they were warned by the government there that if they were to store tap water in plastic bottles that they should be used in 3 days, as after that the tap water (must be the chemicals in it) starts to do something to the plastic and some of the chemicals leak into the water and then that makes it carcinogenic. Don't know how true it is but there was quite a scare about it there.

PP

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
From http://www.boston.com/:

Is it safe to refill single-use water bottles?

The bottles are safe to reuse as long as they're cleaned with hot, soapy water and thoroughly dried every time you refill them, to quell potential bacteria growth, says Jennifer Killinger of the American Chemistry Council. (She adds that the results of extensive testing have demonstrated that polyethylene terephthalate, or PET, is safe for both single and repeated use.) However, scientists have expressed concern over the fact that wear and tear can degrade the plastic over time, potentially causing chemicals, including a trace metal called antimony (harmful at high exposure levels), to leach. Bottom line Reusing a clean bottle in a pinch (before recycling it) is unlikely to be harmful.

And, I do store tap water, and I have more trust in tap water than bottled for it is supposed to have passed more rigorously tests.And change it every 3-4 months or so.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE