How good is Purlon rope ?

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Yes, that is the construction.

It's cheap and good where rope has to be semi-disposable. It does float, but compared to proper floating rope, it soaks up a lot of water.

I use the 9mm stuff as painters on the canoe.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`m looking for something for a ridge line, I`ve tried loads of paracords lately and not been happy with most of them. Looking for 10m of something around 7mm.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What about contacting your local climbing club ?
Once they've 'dropped' on a rope they won't use it again.....just in case.
I've gotten one from Son1 that he dropped on that I intend to use.

cheers,
Toddy

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I use 7mm purlon for my ridgelines and they work great. Quite a soft rope so the prussics dig in really well, for about 8 quid it's good value too. I wouldn't trust my life to it but it's worth the money and will take a fair bit of load in an emergency. There's some piccies on my DD tarp blog if you want a closer look. I got it from ronnie sunshines on ebay.

Cheers,

Alan

Rich

I'd stay away from purlon for use as a ridge line or for stringing up a hammock. From personal experience it's got far too much give in it, even when fixed, stretched & re-tensioned (for my liking).

I got a length of climbing rope / cord that was around 7mm from GO Outdoors which was green with the odd blue fleck in it (not quite as goudy as my other climbing ropes), and you can specify the length you want.

I have subsequently acquired rope from a local climbing centre which has served it's time, the only thing is such rope tends to be around 12mm which if worn can be a lot thicker due to 'fuzz'.

Hope this helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE