How does one keep a knife in pristine condition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
I have recently bought an SWC bushcraft knife (beautiful kinfe) but I am terrified of staining or discolouring it. I have been cleaning it mainly with saliva or meths, but is there any way I should be cleaning it? And if so what with?

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
If you're afraid of staining it or discolouring it, then don't use it.

A wipe down with soapy water, dry and coat with oil will stop it from going rusty.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Ralph said:
I have recently bought an SWC bushcraft knife (beautiful kinfe) but I am terrified of staining or discolouring it. I have been cleaning it mainly with saliva or meths, but is there any way I should be cleaning it? And if so what with?

I can understand that if it's a drawer queen. But a user? You want to get it all nice and stained (assuming it's carbon). This is not the same as rust though. It's a patina. I have wood chisels in my garage that are 50 years old. Made of O1 carbon steel. Nice dark patina. They don't rust, even though they are lying in my tool box in an unheated garage. Carbon kitchen knives the same way.

Repeat after me: stain is GOOD, stain is GOOD. :D

Then: knives are TOOLS, knives are TOOLS. :D

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Hoodoo said it right. I look forward to my knives ageing gracefully.

Ralph said:

Hi,

Stains can easily be removed with the paste from a Nagura stone.

As for wax or oil etc. Renaissance Wax is AMAZING. I use this on the scales and blade of my S Marsh bushcraft knife - there is no oily feel to the handle and it really is superb stuff, worth every penny and lasts for ages - mind you it refined from a formula used by the British Museum and can be used in virtually anything.

Phil.

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
Ralph said:

use it!
chris

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Ralph said:

Put the SWC in a glass case and buy a Mora. :p :D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The first thing I do with a carbon steel knife is wrap the blade in tissue paper and soak it in vinegar.

Leave it over night and take the paper off. the blade should now be somewhere between grey and black in colour.

Rinse in water and dry off.

Now you have oxidized the surface in a controlled way and a little oil will keep the blade in this condition. (I use veg. oil because my knives are used for food sometimes)

The vinegar treatment does two things. Firstly it makes the surface much more forgiving in use. Secondly it stops me from worrying about every speck of tarnishing on the polished surface of my brand new knife..... ;)

OutBackP

Jul 5, 2006
Bridport, Dorset
I have to agree with wayland. I to have found that the vinegar trick works great and now I only make sure that the cutting edge is nice and shiny. Oh and is sharp.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Wayland said:
The first thing I do with a carbon steel knife is wrap the blade in tissue paper and soak it in vinegar.

Leave it over night and take the paper off. the blade should now be somewhere between grey and black in colour.

Now you have oxidized the surface in a controlled way and a little oil will keep the blade in this condition. (I use veg. oil because my knives are used for food sometimes)

The vinegar treatment does two things. Firstly it makes the surface much more forgiving in use. Secondly it stops me from worrying about every speck of tarnishing on the polished surface of my brand new knife..... ;)
Top tip Wayland, I'll have to try it (got too blades tempering in the oven as I type :) ).

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I'll occassionally wipe mine down with an antiseptic/alcohol wipe if its been used on meat. And give it a wipe down with pure Tea (Camellia) oil after sharpening it. But other than that I suppose its just wiped on the trousers before sheathing it.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
A serious answer now. :)

You will never keep a user pristine.The first blemish is always the hardest,after that you relax and enjoy using the knife as a tool.

I hate using a shiny new knife for the first time;know it's irrational but that's the way I am.

As others have said,a good wash in water and then dry and oil (veg oil if you are using it on food).

The knife will look better after use than a new shiny one. :)

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Wayland said:

My knife has got heavily stained from using it to cut up a sausage, would the vinegar method change the blade to a uniform colour, so hiding the stain?

riddleofsteel

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2005
above ground
In an old movie "The Tower" Charleton Heston plays a Norman lord. A Saxon man wants to join the Norman guards at the Tower (castle) At one point he takes this guy's belt knife and smells it.

"Your knife smells of onions. Like all good Saxons."

Knives are TOOLS for most of us as we are not soldiers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE