How do you set up camp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You can even wrap hot rocks in a cloth and take them into your bed with you - no risks involved.
I prefer a hot waterbottle myself but "back in the day" it was common to heat a brick in the oven, wrap it in a towel and use that as a bed warmer :)
These days, if it is particularly cold, I will fill my drinks bottle (usually a metal one but I have used an MOD one) with near boiling water, slip it into a spare sock or Tshirt and use that as a hot waterbottle. It is usually still warm in the morning and can be used for a first brew when the rest of the water in camp is still frozen :)
During my latest "minimal kit" solo I rigged a space blanket as a tarp, went "ground dwelling" on a matress of bracken covered with a thin plastic sheet and had no more covering than my waterproof poncho. The fire was a long pace from my bed and it had a reflector behind it and I was plenty warm... as long as the fire was burning!
The reflector worked well and the foil blanket reflected the fires heat down onto me.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115088&page=2

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Because I started out as a mountaineer then got into this I am using gear from that hobby wherever possible, so hammock in a very warm sleeping bag and find that its absolutely fine. That said its a very warm bag, supposed to be good own to minus 35 !
I buildmy fire on the down wind side and sit by it for warmth then as above am warm when I go to bed, that really helps.
tarp is pitched into the wind, windward side as low a possible for keeping out air movement, as also said above that helps keep warmer air in the tarp.
the big secret as I see it is not to get cold, so if its chilly at noght put another layer on sitting round the fire, if you are toasty warm when you get into bed you will stay that way more easily.
hope that helps.

Atehequa

May 27, 2013
Tsenacommacah
Never beside a brook in the Appalachians as the weather conditions there can change at the drop of a hat. We made this mistake beside the Tye River. That evening where we were it was only a stream some 3 meters wide. We awoke wet inside our Coleman tent and feeling mud and debris under us driven by a raging torrent now 4 times it's regular width. A particularly savage rain storm went through the mountains that night and into morning.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
How do I set up camp? Empty contents of rucksack onto floor.

Exclaim "So THAT'S where that went!" and "Oh hell, I know what I've forgotten" more or less simultaneously.

Put up tarp (because I live in Wales, so if it isn't raining it soon will be), then set up sleep system (hammock or ground depending).

Then set up camp area (fire, cooking area etc). This usually involves much to-ing and fro-ing with regular tripping over guylines.

All done. Easy when you know how.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Depends on the campsite.

I've hammock camped when 'stealth' was required (ie, not standing out, I had permission). So no fire, no trace.
Hammock camped when ground was sodden. No fire. Nice and dry in hammock and no mud in gear to pack away.

Hammock camped with fire on steep slope. The fire was for cooking so in a shallow rectangular pit. No sparks to speak of and 10ft away from hammock. Set up hammock first and put sleeping bag in it. Tie rucksack to tree (steep slope you see). Then make fire and cook.

1 shot willie

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2012
DEVON
Hi TC.

Worth having a look at a Tatonka Tarp if you like a fire on the go while out and about hammocking..

Much more resilient to sparks.

Had a good few fires with mine, and no ill effects.

While the fire is in full flow and you have no intentions of bedding down for a while, roll you hammock up ( Like a long sausage ), and tie it, or invest in some snake skins, the hammock wont present such a big target for a wayward spark.

Then, before you turn in for the night, let the fire die down a little.

Different folks different strokes, some will be put off by the extra weight of the Tatonka.
For me, comfort plays a huge part in my bushcraft enjoyment, done all the sleeping under a postage stamp on a clothes line stuff ;)

Having good layers of clothing is a huge help.

Last edited:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
For me at least, if I need the warmth of a fire during the night, I won't take the hammock. I tend to hang in the warmer months only.

If you're in Hennesy budget, it's worth having a long hard look at a warbonnet blackbird.

I had a HH explorer deluxe and the warbonnet is far comfier.

Bushcraftt

Dec 11, 2013
finland
Hello new bushcrafter from Finland introduces!

I wasnt able to start new thread on introducions section (think i have to wait some time after registering)

So im 19 and like hiking ,fishing and interested of history thats what got me into traditional bushcraft stuff.

Regards

''bushcraftt''

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE