How do you pronounce "Shemagh"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
(attempting to stay well away from anything offensive)

When I went to Tunisia on holiday 89-ish, many many kids would try to sell stuff on the beach one of the items being the "cloth with head band"

they literally walked down the beaches shouting "Ali ba-ba"

Obviously just because it was an known English reference, they also shouted a few phrases from only fools and horses! like "Lovely jubbly"!

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Personally I pronounce it "HAT"

Mine looks a lot like this:

804.jpg

...except mine's a bit cooler as it's black not brown.

Now I appreciate that Australian headgear made from Skippy's skin might be a little lacking in culture when compared with middle eastern stuff... I can, however, guarantee that it's a lot easier to pronounce ;)

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
Mine's olive and black. Often wear it in bed to keep my balding head warm - to SWMBO's disgust.

"You are so eccentric, wearing that ridiculous scarf again!" - her exact words. Made me chuckle aloud.

Grayfox

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
North West Lancashire
they literally walked down the beaches shouting "Ali ba-ba"

Many years ago while in Morrocco, wherever I went I heard the words Ali Ba Ba following me. Couldn't figure it out until one night in the Djemaa el Fna in Marrakesh a local tradesman explained that anyone with a beard remindeds them of Ali Ba Ba.

I wear a shemagh in preference to a hat. Round my neck, round my face or more usually as in my avatar.

By the way. Do you have to be a paying member to upload images?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE