How do you look after your knives?

Rickyd

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2016
Warwickshire
I have seen no end of knives for sale that look brand new. I try to keep mine in good condition but after 6months of use you can see that they have been used, how do you guys keep your knives in such prestige condition?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I have seen no end of knives for sale that look brand new. I try to keep mine in good condition but after 6months of use you can see that they have been used, how do you guys keep your knives in such prestige condition?

I don't... if I use it then I know it's going to get marked, tarnished etc.

Only knife I keep pristine is my JP 25th and the only way I do that is I don't use it.

So basically accept if you use a knife it's going to show signs of wear and use. Otherwise it's just a drawer queen

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
All my users look used. I like it. I've a few less used knives in the cupboard that are showing slight rust spots. Really I ought to oil them.

I suppose my folders still look fairly pristine, but they're generally made of steels with higher corrosion resistance.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Not guilty m'lud. Like you I try to keep my knives clean - meaning a wipe over with a cloth or on my trousers when they need it, and a bit of oil on wooden handles now and again when I'm doing the kitchen chopping boards or something. I like that used but maintained look. Pristine knives have more than likely not been used!

Sent from my E2003 using Tapatalk

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
It depends what the material they're stainless or carbon. A carbon blade will rust quicker if left out in a damp environment.

I just put a light smear of a thin oil like hair clipper oil.. on mine when in storage.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
I have a few knives, my use and abuse knives show wear in them.
Although I like to clean my higher end knives up after use by washing, oiling, and honing them.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
When being sharpened I rub any wooden bits with linseed oil or Danish if required and the steel with whatever greasy rag is lying about. If there's any tarnishing or rust that will be depremental to use ( basically if it makes the surface rough and the blade drag) I'll attack it with a brown Garryflex block.

http://www.atagroup.co/contentfiles/download-101.pdf

i picked up a few in a bargain bin years ago and they are lasting really well.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE